American University of Iraq Baghdad (AUIB) is a newly
established American style university seeking to be a premier
university of higher education. Under the direction of the
Associate Director, The Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA)
provides oversight and strategic leadership for the AUIB’s
Colleges, academic departments, and degree programs. The VPAA has
responsibility for matters related to recruitment, hiring,
retention, and advancement of all Deans and faculty.
The VPAA is responsible for ensuring consistency of policies in
the hiring, annual review, evaluation, and promotion for faculty,
all aspects of curriculum including liberal arts and
discipline-specific curricula, and program assessment and
continuous improvement. The VPAA supervises the Deans for all
Colleges and the Director for the Continuing Education
The VPAA reports directly to the President and serves as a
member of the President’s Cabinet, University Council, and Deans’
Council. This is a full-time, twelve-month position.
The person should embrace learning and commit to excellence in
This position will be responsible for:
- Promotes the fulfillment of the University’s mission, vision,
and strategic priorities.
- Provide leadership in promoting and safeguarding academic
quality while ensuring academic rigor for all degree and non-degree
programs offered within the University.
- Ensures the evaluation and professional development of all
- Ensures the alignment of academic resources to the needs of
students and other stakeholders.
- Is responsible for the delivery and ongoing evaluation of all
academic programs and services.
- Maintains knowledge of faculty workload policies and practices
and makes recommendations accordingly.
- Work with the Deans, and Department Chairs to provide support,
analysis, and feedback to academic programs in developing
feasibility of new academic programs.
- VPAA is:
- Responsible for institutional accreditation.
- Responsible for the oversight of academic policy and procedures
and compliance with all.
- Provide input and direction for the creation of
program-specific agreements (articulation and mutual
understandings) with other colleges, universities, and
- Participate in review of program performance metrics, academic
master plan development, and academic strategic plan
- Maintains productive relationships with other educational
institutions, including schools, technology centers, and other
colleges and universities within Iraq and the region.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Doctoral degree
- 10 to 15 years of teaching and leadership experience in U.S.
- Proven record of effective leadership, organizational and
managerial skills, and the ability to build critical, collaborative
partnerships across a university and stakeholders.
- Experience with undergraduate and graduate education and a high
level of understanding of major issues and emerging trends within
higher education in the U.S. and MENA region.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty to
develop and implement programs.
- Evidence of cooperative management style and understanding of
- Ability to envision new academic opportunities and alternative
- Proven ability to solve problems, address conflicts in a
constructive manner, and resolve complex personnel issues.
- Familiarity with U.S. and regional accreditation
- Ability to facilitate the development of an academic master
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills in
The Vice President for Academic Affairs will report directly to
Procedure for Candidacy:
Applications should include a cover letter addressing
qualifications for the position, a curriculum vitae, passport data
page, copies of degrees and certificates, and the names and contact
information for three (3) professional references, within the last
three (3) years.
Applications should include a cover letter addressing the
requirements of the position, a curriculum vita, and contact
information for three (3) professional references and copies of
degrees or certification. Applications will be accepted until
the position is filled. Confidential review of materials and
screening of candidates will begin immediately.
Please apply through AUIB website OR send your application and
supporting documents to the following email address:
email@example.com with Karin.Jesuis@auib.edu.iq in
Please note due to the number of CVs, if we do not
respond to you within two weeks of the date of your application, it
means that you have not been shortlisted