Vice President, Advancement / Executive Director of the
Missouri Western State University seeks a dynamic professional with
a successful track record to serve as the Vice President for
University Advancement/ MWSU Foundation (VP). Missouri Western is a
public, state-supported institution serving more than 4,500
students on a beautiful 744-acre campus approximately 35 minutes
north of the Kansas City International Airport. It is an active
participant in the educational, economic, cultural, and social
development of the people and region it serves. The University’s
distinctive focus on applied learning and applied research is a
hallmark of its innovative teaching and learning environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES :
- The VP is responsible for all advancement programs, including
major gifts, corporate and foundation gifts, planned giving, alumni
relations, special events, and public relations and marketing.
- The successful candidate will lead and develop an effective
advancement team, setting goals, and inspiring them to meet and
- The VP will also serve as the primary liaison of the University
with the Missouri Western State University Foundation and the
Missouri Western State University Alumni Association.
- As the University’s chief development officer, the VP will
report to the President and serve as a member of the Cabinet.
- The successful candidate will constantly work with senior
leadership, foundation leadership, academic leaders, faculty,
staff, students, alumni association and friends to serve Missouri
Western’s mission and priorities.
- The VP will need to develop effective relationships with
private businesses, public agencies, and community leaders.
- The VP is expected to have an unwavering commitment to
advancing student success while providing the vision and leadership
necessary to identify and cultivate relationships with internal and
external stakeholders to secure financial resources necessary in
order to meet the University’s fundraising priorities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is a
- Five years of progressively responsible supervisory and
managerial administrative experience
- Proven history of major donor portfolio management, as well as
the cultivation and solicitation of major gifts from individuals
and from corporations and foundations (knowledge of charitable gift
planning and experience preferred)
- Demonstrated progressively increasing responsibility and
success in senior-level fundraising roles (or equivalent),
including capital campaign experience — preferably in a university
- Executive leadership ability in planning, implementing, and
evaluating a comprehensive, integrated institutional advancement
program (or equivalent)
- Expert leadership / management skills, including skills to
select, train, mentor, motivate and evaluate all levels of
- Ability to successfully promote the mission of the
- Successful public relations, marketing and/or alumni relations
- Demonstrated ethical and responsible decision-making
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal
- Commitment to working collegially as part of a team
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction
with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to
exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
As a student-centered learning community, Missouri Western is
dedicated to inclusion and the promotion of diversity as essential
to our mission as a public university. This commitment contributes
to transforming lives and demonstrates our values of freedom,
respect, and courage. The university encourages applications from
individuals whose differing backgrounds, beliefs, ideas, and life
experiences will further enrich the diversity of our educational
- Master’s degree
- Higher Education experience
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds
May require occasional travel
May require night and weekend work
Must be licensed driver.
Hours of Work
Open Until Filled