Deputy Chief Information Officer:
In support of the Chief Information Officer (CIO), the Deputy Chief
Information Officer (DCIO) provides leadership and guidance in
critical areas of technology administration at the College,
including budgeting, resource development and allocation, policy
formation, technology evaluation, and service development,
delivery, and deployment. Aids the CIO in managing business
operations to improve cost effectiveness, service quality, and IT
operational effectiveness. The DCIO will have direct leadership and
oversight of the Client Services (Help Desk, Desktop Support etc.)
and Infrastructure (Networking, Telecom & System Administration
and Data Center Operations). This includes applications,
telecommunications, networking, desktop technology, hardware,
software, project management, vendor relationships, etc.
Additionally, the DCIO analyzes technology trends and advancement
in areas of specialization and plans for the long-term direction of
the IT organization. Acts on behalf of the CIO as assigned by the
CIO or in the absence of the CIO as the principal IT officer.
Leadership & Management
- Acts for the Chief Information Officer in his/her absence and
represents him/her in an official capacity, as required, on all
departmental matters and professional meetings.
- Assists the Chief Information Officer in leading overall
information technology strategic planning to achieve business goals
by prioritizing information technology initiatives and coordinating
the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future
- Advises and assists the CIO in the formulation of departmental
policies, strategic plans, and programs.
- Establishes and implements policies and procedures to ensure
effective and efficient project management and management of vendor
relationships to meet departmental goals and objectives for
improving and increasing utilization of automated systems across
- Assists with the preparation of the IT capital and operational
expense budgets, working with the development team on projects
across the enterprise.
- Coordinates and assists with the recruitment, placement, and
training of personnel
- Assists with the coordination of the day-to-day operations of
the Department of Information Technology.
- Reviews programs and activities, identifies and prioritizes
automation requests, and evaluates their administration,
objectives, effectiveness, efficiency, and suitability to current
- Works with academics in the ongoing evaluation of educational
technologies and distance learning applications.
- Directs programs to monitor, evaluate and improve customer
- Directs and coordinates special projects and programs as
assigned by the CIO.
- Manages teams of engineers and administrators which includes
training, evaluating, supervising, and mentoring employees
- Conducts performance evaluations, formal and informal coaching
and recommends actions/solutions.
- Oversees the Client Services function to ensure customer
service objectives and goals are met
- Meets with staff to identify new opportunities with
technologies at the institution and implementing systems to ensure
stability, reliability, and to create efficiencies.
- Plans & implements best practice and industry standard
technical designs to ensure the continuous operations of the
- Evaluates the network infrastructure to ensure adequate
capacity and technical capability; forecasting network demand;
designing and supporting the firm's remote access and mobility
- Communicates IT security threat profiles and recommends
- Leads and/or provides guidance for advanced technical work in
the design, acquisition, installation, integration, operation, and
maintenance of the college's integrated enterprise application,
server/systems and network infrastructure.
- Collaborates with BCCC departments to ensure that their
infrastructure needs are met while aligning with the University’s
strategy and guidelines
- Manages the telecommunications and communications
infrastructure, budgets, and billing. This includes wired (PBX and
VOIP) and cellular/mobile communications.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Establishes, monitors and reports on SLAs with the business
units. Prepares system development cost estimates, budgets and
- Prepares and presents project proposals to management and
business partner departments.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years’ experience in an IT-related
- Senior leadership experience across a complex organization with
multiple stakeholders, encompassing strategic planning, project
planning visioning and process transformation.
- Experience with budget management.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and creating and maintaining
inclusive learning and work environments.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- An understanding of and appreciation for higher education.
- Demonstrated record of successful leadership, strategic
planning, and sound management of fiscal, facility, and diverse
- Expert knowledge and skill to analyze and resolve conflicts in
policy and program objectives or problems that may occur in very
complex or controversial transactions involving negotiations.
- Ability to organize and lead information technology functions
and operations to cultivate and support a student, faculty and
staff centered environment that promotes excellence.
- Demonstrated abilities in communication and interpersonal
skills that will enable the successful candidate to represent the
institution with internal and external constituencies
- Demonstrated success in fostering collaboration, openness, and
- Demonstrated skills in resource development.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Over 7 years of information technology experience as a senior
leader in progressively responsible roles and within complex
organizations; experience within a higher education
- Experience in information technology services and delivery
within the higher education arena to include leading digital
transformation, business growth through technology implementation;
leading major change initiatives and implementing and modernizing
large scale applications and technology operations.
- Experience with information technology strategy development,
balancing innovation, operations, and financial needs.
- Proven record of implementing successful IT strategies across
multiple years; demonstrated skill in change management.
- Demonstrated commitment to a user-centric focus in the
development of IT strategies and support services.
- Knowledge of containerization, virtual machines and supporting
DevOps and application development team.
- Ability to manage a budget in the face of evolving needs.
- Visionary and strategic thinking
- Experience in driving a culture of automation to optimize IT
productivity, focusing on how to improve operational performance,
resource utilization, productivity, quality, and reliability along
- Professional certifications such as Project Management
- IT infrastructure management including data center and network