As Instructor of Physics, you will teach at the undergraduate
level; be involved in course and/or curriculum development; conduct
research/scholarship/professional development; participate on
College and University committees and/or initiatives.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university
dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty
are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing
professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of
instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to
effective use of technology including distance learning; produce
peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College,
University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main
campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
The Department of Chemistry and Physics strives to embrace and
promote diversity in all its forms, not only to create a more
inclusive environment for the practices of chemistry and physics,
but also to provide fair and just outcomes for all to achieve their
full potential. Inclusion of and respect for people of all
backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and ideas will lead to
superior solutions to world challenges and advance our disciplines
as global, multidisciplinary sciences.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
Additional Job Description
- Teaches 12 credit hours per semester of undergraduate courses
in Physics and related subjects.
- Prepares syllabi, instruction materials, coordinates lectures,
tests, and evaluates students and maintains the highest possible
standards of instruction.
- Engages in reflective self-assessment of teaching styles and
methods to ensure consistently effective instructional
- Actively serves on university committees.
- Actively participates in institutional meetings
- Assists with the development of curriculum
- Continued professional development activity is expected at a
level commensurate with the mission of the University. Community,
institutional and professional service in furtherance of FGCU’s
mission is expected of all faculty.
- Other duties may be assigned by the Chair.
- Master’s degree in Physics, or a closely-related area from a
regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation with
a minimum of 18 graduate credit hours in the discipline.
- Demonstrated potential for, or a record of, achievement in
teaching lower division Physics courses.
- Must meet the University and College criteria for the
appointment to the level of Instructor I.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Master’s degree in Physics from a regionally accredited
institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Experience with management of the lower division Physics
curriculum, especially in connection with standards, scheduling,
staffing, and policy implementation.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Experience with and commitment to the use of instructional
technology, a willingness to cultivate an interdisciplinary
perspective,; and a demonstrated commitment to professional
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance
learning & university teaching. Interest in collaborating both
within and outside the University in the development and delivery
of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value
continued scholarship and service to the school and
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis
available August 2022.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and
retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send
examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so.
Therefore all submitted materials including articles, disks,
slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE
RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to
submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become
the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available
for public review upon request.
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however
applications received by November 8, 2021 will receive priority
Salary: $41,000- Negotiable
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.