International Student Advocate
Menlo College is actively recruiting for the position of an
International Student Advocate (ISA) reporting to the Executive
Director of Academic and International Student Success and will
also work closely with the Principal Designated School Official
(PDSO). This is a full-time, exempt position.
This opportunity works closely with international students from
33 countries who make up ~25% of the student body at Menlo.
The International Student Advocate provides specialized student
support in two primary functional areas: compliance with
immigration policy and focused retention efforts through outreach
to the Menlo community. ISA will be able to meet with
students during office hours and by appointment.
The ISA’s main immigration role is for F-1 students. In
addition, the Advocate will create and develop retention programs
and services that promote intercultural exchange, increase
knowledge, and broaden understanding within and between the U.S.
domestic and international communities.
• Advises international students on all F-1 student status
compliance including but not limited to: I-20s, immigration
petitions and applications for new F-1 visas, work permits
(OPT/CPT), reinstatement, travel signatures, reduced course load
authorizations, change of status, medical leave, economic hardship,
and employment authorization.
• Serves as the Designated School Official (DSO) maintaining the
Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and all
related certification requirements. Organizes SEVIS data processing
under the guidelines provided by the Department of Homeland
Security (DHS) and manages data and quality control. Establishes,
updates and tracks SEVIS files.
• Works collaboratively with the Executive Director to support
the development of strategies to enhance student retention.
• Supports international students experiencing
cross-cultural, family, personal or economic crises, which may
impact academic performance. Helps students to access
appropriate college and community services/resources.
• Develop staff and faculty training to better
understand the international student perspective (intercultural
competency training); may partner with the Director of
• Develop programming that encourages appreciation
of the numerous cultures (domestic and international) represented
• Develop and maintain a year to year calendar of
activities; therefore, providing a structure of international
student co-curricular and extracurricular activities with more
opportunities for campus wide participation
• Develop a robust and welcoming orientation
program for international students.
• Plan social, cultural, and developmental events,
which will become part of a yearly schedule
• Work with career services to develop partnerships with
companies to offer internships for international students
domestically and internationally.
• Work with Admissions to welcome new international students
prior to their arrival.
• Work with Academic Advising and Student Affairs to ensure
international students receive all needed academic support and to
organize co-curricular activities.
• Work with Housing to ensure international students’
residential experience complements and completes their Menlo
• Refer international students to the members of the Menlo
Community who can most appropriately provide them with support.
• Work with international students to determine their best
pathway through Menlo College.
Menlo College encourages you to apply if you meet at least 60%
of the qualifications.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited
• Minimum of two to three years of experience supporting
• Demonstrated ability to work well in groups, work
independently and advise on confidential issues
• Must be detail oriented in working with databases,
applications and advising students
• Demonstrated verbal and written communication and student
• Ability to be flexible when managing competing priorities and,
at times, changing deadlines
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty,
staff and administrators with patience and diplomacy within a
• U.S. citizenship or lawful U.S. permanent resident status [as
required by U.S. Department of Homeland Security and U.S.
Department of State] to be a Designated School Official
• Ability to manage software systems to streamline processes and
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
• Experience working, living, and/or studying abroad
• Familiarity with laws and regulations related to U.S. higher
education, F-1 visa/status regulations
• Familiarity with working in a higher education environment
• Proficiency in a foreign language
• Affiliation with international education organization such as
NAFSA: Association of International Educators
About Menlo College:
Menlo College is a diverse and tight-knit community of
exceptional, involved people. Our mission is to: “…ignite potential
and educate students to make meaningful contributions in the
innovation economy.” We attract students from all over the world
who are committed to learning, playing intercollegiate sports,
starting and leading organizations, and making an impact in their
Continuing an unbroken streak for more than a decade, Menlo
College was named to The Princeton Review “2021 Best Colleges”
list, recognition given to only 12% of all colleges and
universities in the U.S. In 2020, Menlo College was also ranked #11
in Money for Best Business Colleges in the U.S. Menlo College is
designated as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an
Asian American and Native American, Pacific Islander-Serving
Institution (AANAPISI). Only 1% of all colleges and universities in
the U.S. achieve this dual recognition.
Our campus is located 30 miles south of San Francisco, in
Silicon Valley – one of the world’s most entrepreneurial and
innovative locations. Silicon Valley is renowned as an innovation
incubator with exceptional opportunities for experience-based
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a resume and
cover letter via email to: email@example.com.
Menlo College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong
commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. All prospective
employees are required to satisfy a background check and have fully
completed their COVID-19 vaccination.