Head of Instruction
Sensitive Position Statement
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal
This is NOT a sensitive position.
Campus Security Authority
Campus Security Authority Statement
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A
Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official
of the institution with significant responsibility for student and
campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately
report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police
who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime.
Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all
personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security
Designated Personnel Statement
If a position is deemed as a “designated position”, the position
could potentially be required to work (depending on the event)
during an emergency closing.
This is NOT a “designated position.”
Statement of Economic Interest
Statement of Economic Interest Statement
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal
Restricted Position Statement
A restricted position would be subject to availability of
This is a restricted position.
Chief Objective of Position
The Instruction Librarian is responsible for the development and
delivery of all aspects of the library’s instruction program.
- Plan, develop and assess a program of instruction in library
resources and services for all communities of the University.
Manages and acts as lead instructor of program.
- Develop, design and implement online learning content
- Develop, maintain and assess an instruction web page on
library’s web page.
- Supervise and develop the University Archives and Special
- Lead administrator of the Trible Library web site and
- Supervises Electronic Resources Coordinator.
- Acts as liaison to the Office of Undergraduate Research and
- Provide Reference assistance
- Serve as a liaison to one or more academic
- Review and communicate safety issues to assure a safe and
healthy workplace and a reduction in work related
- Develop and maintain very positive and professional customer
service and/or relations within the office/department and with all
constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and
employees. Demonstrate a positive and professional attitude and
treat everyone with dignity and respect. Fully support the
“Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the
extra mile in providing service.
- This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has
the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to
report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or
who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's)
- Excellent teaching, written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; substantial
experience in academic libraries
- Demonstrated ability to supervise
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to apply library policies and procedures
- Ability to organize tasks and creatively solve
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with faculty,
staff, students and/or the general public in a tactful and
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's)
- Ability to effectively conduct library research.
- Ability to evaluate instructional programs.
A Masters Degree in Library and Information Science from
an ALA accredited institution by application date is
Second Masters Degree in a related field.
- Proven experience in an academic library environment in public
services and instruction. Demonstrated experience in library
outreach to faculty and students.
- Experience in developing and delivering academic library
- Experience in developing and delivering online academic library
instruction and developing supportive instruction modules.
- Experience in managing archives and special collections.
- Library Reference experience; and supervisory experience.
- Experience in managing library web pages.
- Experience in working with undergraduate research
- Experience in Scholarly Communication Programs.
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 387
Best Colleges: 2022 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a
public school offering a private school experience – great
teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. The University
is located in Newport News, Virginia, enrolls approximately 5,000
students, and is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship,
leadership, and service. Academic programs at Christopher
Newport University encompass more than 90 areas of study, from
biology to business administration and political science to the
performing arts. The University is ranked by U.S. News & World
Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as 3rd among public
regional universities in the South and 6th overall, and has
recently completed more than $1 billion in capital construction on
its 260-acre campus. Christopher Newport University is
committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored, and
fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We
recruit exceptional and diverse faculty and encourage applications
from individuals who are underrepresented in their
profession. For further details and information about
Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter;
current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of
at least three professional references at the time of
Review of applications will begin October 10, 2021.
Applications received after October 10, 2021, will be accepted
but considered only if needed.
Search finalists are required to complete
a CNU sponsored background check.
Per the Governor’s order, as a state employee, you
would be required to disclose vaccine status. If you are fully
vaccinated, you must provide documents confirming this
status. The Governor requires that all employees who are
unvaccinated, or not yet fully vaccinated to be tested weekly until
they are fully vaccinated. This is a condition of
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable
effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application
and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require
accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources
Office by calling (757) 594-7145.
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully
Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy