Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among
the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one
of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of
Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for
economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being
the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community
partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and
The CLIA Diagnostic Laboratory (Associate Director) is directly
responsible for the overall coordination and evaluation of the
Clinical Lab activities while supporting the overall mission of the
organization as coordinating by the Director of the Facility.
Develops, maintains, and manages day-to-day operations of the
Clinical Laboratory. Works with the Director to oversees operations
and staff to ensure quality of testing in all areas of the
laboratory. Maintains knowledge of Medical Laboratory principles,
practices, standards, requirements and techniques. Directs
employees, competencies, and training. Experience in Covid-19
testing highly desirable. This individual will maintain a faculty
appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor in the Department of
Microbiology and Immunology with a possibility of a joint
appointment in a clinical department.
- Responsible for the day to day technical and scientific
oversight of the laboratory.
- Establish and execute daily laboratory operations to ensure
that resources are effectively scheduled to deliver on commitments
in a way that is compliant with the quality system, recognized
protocols and procedures, and policies.
- Work with the Director to develop and revise policies &
protocols according to best practice standards. Ensure that all
testing, including but not limited to proficiency specimens, are
handled in accordance with CLIA, CAP and state health department
- Conduct validation studies of new assays / equipment and ensure
satisfactory performance characteristics prior to patient
- Monitor QA and QC, and ensure that appropriate and timely
remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the
laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Ensure all testing results are delivered within the established
and expected timeframes.
- Facilitate results interpretation and, when appropriate,
involve other experts in the interpretation and communication of
- Manage staff efficiently and fairly to promote efficient
workflow. Optimize human resources and cultivate team spirit, a
culture of quality, accuracy and service. Ensure that all company
policies including Safety Policies, HIPAA and OSHA regulations are
followed and take appropriate and timely action when they are
- Ensure that all staff are qualified for their respective roles
under CLIA regulations, undergo adequate training, and successfully
complete competency assessments and professional certification
programs, as applicable, to ensure the quality and reportability of
all laboratory testing performed.
- Ensure there is a plan to keep the laboratory sustainably
staffed by developing succession plans and recruiting strategies
that can be implemented and evaluated on an ongoing basis.
- Troubleshoot equipment issues in conjunction with technical
team. Monitor and sustain timely maintenance and calibration of
laboratory equipment to ensure optimum performance and minimum
- Requirements: PhD and certification by ABP or ABMGG
- Acceptable Lab Director certifications are: American Board of
Pathology and American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics
American Board of Clinical Chemistry
- Requirements: Certification by ABCC; ABMM; ABMLI; ABP; ABB or
American Board of Bioanalysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Scientifically literate and able to build a detailed
understanding of scientific problems in order to be able to solve
- Strong team collaboration and management skills
This position is classified as Exempt
with a salary grade of
For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional
Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when
submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is
Sep 23 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Oct 24 2021 Eastern Daylight Time