A Flight Software (FSW) Engineer IV is highly skilled in the
software development lifecycle. This position collaborates with
Systems, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineers to plan, design, and
understand how the flight software is utilized. Additional tasks
may include defining and establishing software development
environments and tools, capturing requirements, and analyzing
system capabilities to resolve software performance problems.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) at the
University of Colorado Boulder (CU) began in 1948, a decade before
NASA. We are the world’s only academic research institute to have
sent instruments to all eight planets and Pluto.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Coordinate, plan, and direct FSW development activities for a
- Collaborate with the LASP FSW Manager:
- to ensure that software development activities are consistent
with the FSW development process.
- to generate schedules and budgets and maintain them throughout
- to determine staffing levels.
- Report FSW status and progress to project management.
- Evaluate FSW development and test and configuration management
- Work with and coordinate activities with Software Quality
- Develop and document software requirements and design
architecture that meet project goals.
- Work with FSW team on system architectural design and define
software CSCIs and their contents.
- Lead and participate in requirements and detailed design
- Implement software in accordance with established
- Monitor team activities; respond to complex issues and
Software Testing, Verification, and Validation
- Define and document test program for FSW system.
- Conduct CSC code reviews.
- Determine the readiness of build for delivery and generate
- Participate in integration and system testing of software
components and builds.
- Perform verification activities and document results according
- Develop a software maintenance plan and support maintenance
- Participate in change control boards and reviews.
Teaching and Mentoring
What You Should Know
- Assist software student employees with their tasks.
What We Can Offer
- This position is contingent upon ESCAPE winning the NASA
Astro-SMEX award, which NASA is anticipated to announce in Q4.
- Due to US Export Control restrictions, only US Citizens and
Permanent Residents may apply.
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine
requirement . New employees must provide proof of vaccination
or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of
$108,407.00 - $151,875.00.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be ambitious. Be groundbreaking. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- BS in Computer Science or related field.
- 9 years or more of work experience in the software field.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with interrupt service routines, microprocessor
architectures, real-time operating systems, hardware interfaces,
and low-level communication protocols.
- Must be self-directed.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities, and meet
deadlines from daily details to managerial analyses.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of CMMI.
- Knowledge of NASA standards and practices.
- Knowledge of hardware/software interactions and digital logic
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly
describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific
interest in this position.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified
by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an
approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the
United States, please submit a translated version as an optional
Review of applications will begin as they are received. The
position will remain open until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: