A Flight Software (FSW) Engineer II or III is skilled in the
design, development, documentation, debug and tests, and
maintenance of embedded microprocessor software. This position must
have an understanding of the software development lifecycle. This
position collaborates with Systems, Mechanical, and Electrical
Engineers to plan, design, and understand how the flight software
is utilized. The FSW Engineer II or III assists in defining and
establishing software development environments and tools and
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) at the
University of Colorado Boulder (CU) began in 1948, a decade before
NASA. We are the world’s only academic research institute to have
sent instruments to all eight planets and Pluto.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Assist FSW lead with developing software requirements and
design architecture that meet project goals.
- Work with FSW lead and team on system architectural design and
define software modules and their contents.
- Participate in requirements and detailed design reviews.
- Implement software in accordance with established
- Respond to issues and anomalies.
Software Testing, Verification, and Validation
- Assist in the development of test program for FSW system.
- Conduct CSC code reviews.
- Participate in integration and system testing of software
components and builds.
- Perform verification activities and document results according
- Work with and coordinate activities with Software Quality
- Assist in the development of the software maintenance plan and
support maintenance activities.
- Participate in change control boards and reviews.
Teaching and Mentoring
What You Should Know
- Assist software student employees with their tasks.
What We Can Offer
- This position is contingent upon ESCAPE winning the NASA
Astro-SMEX award, which is anticipated in October 2021.
- Due to US Export Control restrictions, only US Citizens and
Permanent Residents may apply.
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine
requirement . New employees must provide proof of vaccination
or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be collaborative. Be groundbreaking. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- BS in Computer Science or related field.
- 5 years of work experience in the software field.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with interrupt service routines, microprocessor
architectures, real-time operating systems, hardware interfaces,
and low-level communication protocols.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be self-directed.
- Familiarity with hardware/software interactions and digital
logic and FPGAs.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly
describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific
interest in this position.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified
by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an
approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the
United States, please submit a translated version as an optional
Review of applications will begin as they are received. The
position will remain open until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: