Finger Lakes Community College is affiliated with The State
University of New York (SUNY) and is currently recruiting for a
Network Administrator at our main campus in Canandaigua, New
Finger Lakes Community College offers competitive salaries, rich
benefits and retirement options which include New York State
Employees Retirement System, Teachers Retirement System and SUNY
Optional Retirement Program.
The Network Administrator is the primary individual responsible for
ensuring that the College Network functions with adequate capacity,
reliability and security to meet the Colleges data communications
requirements. The position is responsible for overall design and
implementation of the network architecture as well as the
continuous development and implementation of enhancements in its
extent and capacity. The network administrator is the primary
individual responsible for preserving the security of the network
and all attached systems and data from external interference. This
position is the primary contact for all contracted data
- Qualifications :
- Education Background : Associates Degree in related field
required, Bachelors preferred.
- Experience : Minimum of three years experience in the
implementation and support of data communications. Experience with
installation and support of network cabling, communications
equipment, protocols and servers. In-depth understanding of
communications protocols, Local Area Networks, Wide Area Networks,
fiber optic cabling, Ethernet wiring, and wireless technologies.
Experience with the maintenance and troubleshooting of network
operations and security, including the use of firewall technology.
Knowledge of routing protocols: Virtual Redundant Router Protocol
(VRRP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), and understanding of how
to implement Virtual Local Area Networks (VLAN), and Spanning Tree
- Special Skills: Experience with Enterasys switches, Extreme
network core, and Cisco Telephony and Telepresence configurations
preferred. Experience with Unix, Windows, VMware, Internet Protocol
and the provision of network services highly desirable. Ability to
interact and communicate effectively with diverse populations.
Certifications in Network technologies preferred.
- General Functions : The Network Administrator is the primary
individual responsible for ensuring that the College Network
functions with adequate capacity, reliability and security to meet
the Colleges data communications requirements. The position is
responsible for overall design and implementation of the network
architecture as well as the continuous development and
implementation of enhancements in its extent and capacity. The
network administrator is the primary individual responsible for
preserving the security of the network and all attached systems and
data from external interference. This position is the primary
contact for all contracted data communications services.
- Specific Responsibilities:
- Network Design, Implementation, Maintenance, and
- Designs and implements the College network architecture.
- Budgets and plans for network upgrades, lifecycle replacements,
maintenance costs and hardware support.
- Ensures the continued functionality of the college network by
controlling network traffic flow, by performing management of and
support of network traffic shapers, switches and routers, and by
implementing access control lists (ACLs) and traffic shaping
- Serves as primary network analyst and troubleshooter for
College network problems. Responds to Helpdesk tickets involving
network related issues.
- Designs and manages all College Wide-Area-Network (WAN)
activities, including the configuration and deployment of Virtual
Private Networks (VPN)
- Responsible for documenting all aspects of the network
infrastructure for all College sites.
- Manages the network services for Domain Name Service (DNS) and
DHCP College-wide, and delegates to his subordinates and other IT
staff as necessary. Responsible for configuring SNMP, sFlow,
netFlow and Radius services for authentication of users, and the
management of network equipment. Supports a variety of services
running on Windows and Linux Operating Systems: DNS, Radius,
Windows Domain Controllers, DHCP, along with various network
monitoring and logging tools.
- Maintains the adequacy of existing cabling plant and network
infrastructure, including its extension for new purposes and
upgrading to include fiber-optics, virtual networks and additional
emerging network technologies.
- Responsible for configuring and supporting the central logging
infrastructure for network services. All network equipment and
servers (Linux and Windows) log to a central logging server with
login activity, and other critical information for the purposes of
meeting HIPAA, SOX, GBLA, Payment Card Industry (PCI) and other
compliance standard requirements.
- Responsible for designing, implementing and supporting the
wireless infrastructure for all campus sites.
- Provides ancillary support to Security, Educational Technology,
and Physical Plant for networked devices: IP cameras, DVRs, IP
based projectors, HVAC equipment, videoconferencing equipment,
- Provides ancillary network support for non-College entities
including Auxiliary Services (Bookstore), Finger Lakes Public
Television (FLTV), Emergency Medical Services (EMS), Canandaigua
Cafeteria Vendor Networking
- Responsible for Uninterruptable Power Supplies on campus
located in network closets and server rooms. Interface with FLCC
staff for receptacle placement for new networking equipment.
- Supervises the Campus Centers Technology Specialist,
Infrastructure Specialist, and student aides in support of College
network and telephony operations.
- Network Security
- Ensures the security of the network from external and internal
interference by the use of appropriate firewall and gateway
anti-virus technology, and implementing and testing Access Control
- Manages and maintains Application Layer and Intrusion Detection
firewalls and other network security devices to protect internal
networks and automatically react to and notify appropriate
personnel regarding cyberattacks and hacking.
- Contracted Data Communications Services
- Functions as primary technical contact for the college with
external networking service providers to include all data-oriented
telephone communications services, cabling services companies,
Internet service providers and SUNY Internet and network equipment
- Supports the development and implementation of contracts with
external data communications and Internet services providers
including the production of RFPs, technical specifications and
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job
description contains only qualifications that are required, with or
without a reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to use computer for extended periods of time.
- Frequently moves to other parts of the building and bending
down for assistance with equipment setup
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds across office for various
- The ability to communicate information and ideas so others will
understand. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these
Applicants interested in applying MUST submit the following
documents via online:
- Cover letter
The salary will commensurate with experience. Position will be
posted until filled.
FLCC is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and strives
to provide an environment that embodies these principles. We strive
to attract talented personnel from diverse backgrounds and
traditions, particularly of race and ethnicity, gender, gender
identity, sexual orientation, nationality, culture, religion,
worldview and physical and mental abilities. As such, applicants
from historically under-represented groups are highly encouraged to
Finger Lakes Community College does not discriminate against any
employee, applicant for employment, student or applicant for
admission based on an individuals race, color, national origin,
religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identification,
gender expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy,
predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, veteran
status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction or any
other category protected by law. The College adheres to all federal
and state civil rights laws prohibiting discrimination in public
institutions of higher education.