About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative
colleges in the United States by Money Magazine, is a comprehensive
Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of
Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic
success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus
into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and
skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers bachelor's and master's
degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in
humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment
includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from
across the U.S. and around the world.
The Technical Support Specialist reports to the Assistant Director
of Technical Services. This individual is responsible for resolving
help desk calls from faculty, staff, and students as well as
maintaining accurate inventory control and implementing inventory
policies and procedures. In addition, this individual will work
with other areas of the Office of Information Technology to
troubleshoot and resolve technical support issues as they
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The overall responsibilities of this role include desktop and
laptop computer troubleshooting, deployment, and repair, printer
maintenance and repair, inventory assessments and maintenance, and
assistance with management of helpdesk calls.
- The job responsibilities will be further constructed into four
major categories to insure structured development and evaluation of
accomplishments. These four categories and relevant
responsibilities are listed below and utilized to build a
foundation for future assignments.
- Troubleshoot, service, maintain, and repair computers,
peripherals, and other electronic equipment for faculty, staff, and
- Inventory, install and configure personal computer hardware and
software, and deploy images onto desktops and laptops.
- Diagnose system failures and isolate faulty parts; repair or
replace parts as needed.
- Continued development of technical skills and certifications
for both hardware and software.
- Perform installation, configuration, and inventory of new
equipment as it arrives and prepare for deployment to our end user
- Maintain accurate input, tracking, and closing of assigned
helpdesk calls within the University ticket tracking system.
- Establish and maintain accurate inventory of all hardware,
software, and peripheral equipment owned and serviced by the
- As necessary, assist and support in our University Help Desk
service area with signing in laptop computers for repair and
filling out service request forms.
- Generate monthly service call reports through the University
ticket tracking system (Web Help Desk).
- Maintain and complete proper warranty repair information for
all University owned equipment and document in the University
- Maintain daily recording and updates of assigned Helpdesk
- Maintain accurate inventory and warranty information for
equipment and repairs.
- Manage tasks and other project assignments as allocated.
- Establish organized work areas and properly maintain
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Keep Assistant Director of Technical Services and other members
of the Office of Information Technology informed of issues,
concerns, outages, and repairs in a timely manner.
- Share information gathered through conference attendance,
training, and R&D with the Assistant Director of Technical
Services and other IT staff members.
- Participate in development of process to distribute relative
technical information to the general community. Assist with the
validation of all information issued for public release.
- Work with all members of the Office of Information Technology
to continuously improve communications tools and processes.
- Follow up communications with faculty, staff, and students in
order to close out service calls and confirm necessary repairs are
- Works closely with all Office of Information Technology staff
to ensure consistent and effective service.
- Keeps abreast of all developments that will affect the function
of the help desk and inventory process.
- Makes suggestions as to methods of improving productivity and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Information System Science, or
related field or equivalent working knowledge and a minimum of two
years work experience in a support position are required. Ability
to work effectively with end user community and outside consultants
is essential. Excellent oral and written communication and
interpersonal skills are required. Ability to work effectively as a
team member or as an independent contributor is also
- Preferred certifications include A+, HP or other hardware
provider certifications, utilization of Microsoft diagnostic tools,
and hands-on experience with various areas of hardware repair.
Additionally, this candidate should have the following skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows 7, 10, Mac OS X 10.12 -10.15,
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 2016 and O365.
- Knowledge of current methods and procedures of the
computer/mobile device management and deployment, including
Microsoft MDT/SCCM and JAMF Casper Suite.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible
- health and dental coverage
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- 403B plan
- tuition benefits and more
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in
employment and education to all employees, students and applicants.
No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or
harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion,
disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran
status, genetic information or any other basis protected by
applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve
Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission
policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other
University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it
does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational
programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making
its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant
with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online for any open staff and faculty
positions by providing a cover-letter and resume. Pre-employment
background checks and reference checks are required of successful
candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.