University of Southern California (USC)
Los Angeles, CA - Downtown
Executive Director of Advancement
USC Health Sciences Advancement is seekaing an Executive
Director of Advancement Communications to lead a successful
advancement communications program for Keck Medicine of USC. The
Executive Director of Advancement Communications will report to the
Assistant Vice President Strategy and Operations and will be
responsible for content strategy and execution for the Keck
Medicine Advancement team. The Sr. Director will lead a team of
communications professionals who will play a key role in developing
proposals, cases for support and other communications materials to
engage individuals with the potential to make annual, major,
principal, and transformative gifts. They will lead the editorial
content generation on print, digital, and social media
The Executive Director of Advancement Communications should be
experienced creating a variety of donor-centric communications
materials and familiar with brand/identity development, integrated
communication programs, digital communications, and effective
graphic design. Experience in health care, higher education or
other large, complex organizations is required, as is a high
comfort level writing about medical and scientific subjects.
Essential job duties include, but are not limited
• In consultation with fundraisers and senior leaders, write
proposals and other solicitation materials to support major,
principal, and transformative gift conversations and
• Write letters, impact reports, presentations materials,
leave-behinds, and other materials to help cultivate and steward
our highest-level prospects and donors.
• Collaborate with senior philanthropy staff and enterprise
leaders to develop white papers about key programs/projects in need
of significant philanthropic support.
• Conduct thoughtful interviews with enterprise leaders,
scientists, clinicians, program directors, graduate students,
donors, and administrators to support content development.
• Serve as a trusted resource for gift officers, assisting with
their development of effective communications strategies.
• Partner with colleagues on scripting for videos and donor
• Develop proposal templates in key areas to support gift
conversations and solicitations.
• Serve as a key partner to the Asst. Vice President and other
philanthropy leaders in shaping strategic initiatives and
developing communications to support their success.
• Write and collaborate on the writing of cases for support for
strategic initiatives in philanthropy.
• Play a leading role in developing and disseminating key
messages for strategic initiatives in philanthropy.
• Help ensure that messaging is consistent throughout proposals,
white papers, case materials, publications, and other
• Collaborate with colleagues in the Annual Fund, Digital
Communications, Donor Experience and Philanthropy Communications,
Individual Giving and Keck Medicine and Keck School of Medicine
Marketing and Communications to disseminate key messages through
• Assist the Asst. Vice President in developing and implementing
communications plans for strategic initiatives in philanthropy.
Building on the case for support, develop secondary publications,
one-sheets, website content, videos, digital communications
strategies, and other communications as needed.
• Develop fundraiser toolkits, proposal templates and other
training materials, as needed, to help fundraisers advance gift
conversations and ultimately secure significant gifts for strategic
• Oversee a digital tracking system for communications
• As requested, assign work to staff writers, freelance writers,
graphic designers, photographers, and videographers.
• Develop and carefully monitor timelines for various projects,
ensuring that the necessary information is gathered, meetings are
held, vetting takes place and design is completed, so that
high-quality projects are delivered in an efficient and timely
• Review and develop processes as needed.
• Edit the writing of colleagues and freelance writers for
style, grammar, content, and messaging.
• Serve as project manager for videos and digital communications
initiatives, as needed.
• Seven to ten years of experience in communications at a
complex educational or medical nonprofit organization. Advanced
Follows established USC and department policies, procedures,
objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety,
environmental, and infection control guidelines, including
adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.
Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The
University reserves the right to add or change duties at any
USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff
& their family with access to the renowned university medical
network; tuition benefits for staff & their family; free online
professional development classes; discounts to football, basketball
& other campus events.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined
experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 5 years, Combined
education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise: Management
experience in journalism and public relations.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is
committed to equal opportunity in employment.