Farm and Garden Seasonal Assistant
The Farm and Garden Seasonal Assistant (SA) will assist with the
daily operations of the Bucknell University Farm (BUF) and the
Lewisburg Community Garden (LCG). Established in Spring 2018, the
BUF supports a host of university courses and academic research,
promotes campus sustainability efforts, provides fresh, organic
produce for use by Bucknell Dining, offers recreational
opportunities for students, faculty, and staff, and advocates for
an overall healthier campus climate. Founded in Spring 2012, the
LCG provides access to fresh, locally-grown produce by providing
growing space for community members who wish to practice organic
gardening, by offering relevant educational opportunities, and by
donating fresh produce to local food security programs, including
Be Eats. This position reports to the Farm and Garden Coordinator
and will work closely with staff and faculty in the management and
care of the BUF and LCG.
This is a casual (non-benefits eligible), seasonal position which
will be generally work 20 hours per week.
● Direct students and volunteers
at both the BUF and the LCG. This will include, but may not be
limited to, soil preparation, seed and seedlings planting,
mulching, weeding, watering,
● Co-facilitate work sessions and educational activities with
AmeriCorps members and student leaders (using directions and task
lists provided by the Coordinator).
● Provide guidance and direction to student employees and
volunteers. Supervise and manage work in the absence of the
● Help to manage the growth and cultivation of several thousand
organically-grown seedlings for planting at both the BUF and the
LCG, and for plant sale fundraising events. This will include
supervising student workers.
● Assist the Farm and Garden Coordinator with coordinating and
operating plant sale.
● Work independently when needed.
● Communicate with all staff, students and volunteers to plan work
● Assisting the garden advisory board and Coordinator in:
o managing the plot rental process
o communicating with plot renters and ensuring they meet
expectations of rental contract
● Additional garden management duties include, but are not limited
○ Ensure that tools and materials are properly maintained and
○ Ensure that safe practices are utilized including Covid safety
● Experience and
familiarity with growing vegetables and fruits in our region
● Basic knowledge of organic growing practices and related tools
● Experience managing employees, volunteers, and/or students
● Prior experience working with a diverse workforce
● Demonstrated attention to detail
● Basic familiarity with electronic spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel,
Google Sheets) and documents (Microsoft Word, Google Docs)
● Demonstrated ability to multi-task manage workload in multiple
● Demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently communicate
with plot renters, volunteers, employees, students, and other
● High school diploma or equivalent
● Valid driver's license
● Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evening hours and
occasional weekend hours
● Work locations vary daily and routine travel between multiple
sites that are several miles apart will be required (such as
Lewisburg Community Garden and Bucknell University Farm);
university vehicles are not provided.
Training or Master Gardener Certification
● First Aid/CPR certificate/training
● Experience working with college students
● Bachelor's degree
● Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
● Bending, kneeling, stooping, pushing, pulling, reaching above and
below shoulders, lifting.
● Ability to work outdoors, some evenings and weekends.
● Possible daily exposure to adverse weather conditions and
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496854/farm-and-garden-seasonal-assistant