University of Southern California (USC)
Los Angeles, CA - Downtown
Sr. Director, Advisory Board Management, Special
Projects and Initiatives
USC Health Sciences Advancement is seeking a Sr. Director of
Keck Medicine of USC Advisory Board Management, Special Projects
and Initiatives. The Sr. Director reports to the Assistant Vice
President Strategy and Operations. The Sr. Director is responsible
for all aspects of the Advisory Board management from:
• Developing sound strategies and annual operational plans to
leverage volunteer board membership and activities across the Keck
Medicine of USC enterprise in support of the institution’s
• Developing programmatic content for board meetings in
consultation with USC Health Sciences academic, health system, and
• Managing board meeting logistics and execution,
• Interfacing with the University’s highest-level
• To relationship management of the board members and their
In addition, the Sr. Director will be responsible for special
projects and initiatives to support the SVP of Health Affairs and
the VP of Health Sciences Advancement efforts in cultivating,
soliciting, and stewarding donors and prospects capable of
transformative giving. The Sr. Director will work collaboratively
with colleagues across the USC Health Sciences Advancement (HSA)
team and other USC schools and units to develop or leverage
existing programs that will cultivate the interest and involvement
of donors and prospects for the Health Sciences Campus.
Essential job duties include, but are not limited
• Manage Keck Medicine of USC’s highest-level volunteer board
and advisory committees.
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with key donors and
volunteers; as well as, senior members of the USC and Keck Medicine
of USC faculty, researchers, and staff.
• Serve as the liaison to Keck Medicine of USC Donor Relations
and Advancement Communications in development of custom stewardship
plans, proposals, impact reports, and other advancement
communications, in close coordination with AVP Health Sciences
Advancement, to support donor cultivation, fundraising, and
stewardship of select donors serving on the volunteer board and
• Conduct research for the purpose of preparing university
leadership for effective interactions with board members, their
families and other community leaders.
• Lead and manage special projects under the direction of the
AVP that support the needs of the VP Advancement and SVP of Health
• Identify processes and operations that would benefit the
organization; provide recommendations and manage modifications to,
or execution of, assigned programs and projects.
• Interact and coordinate with other university schools and
units in support of the needs of the volunteer advisory board and
committees or to advance special projects/initiatives.
• Plan, organize and coordinate special events and
• Attend professional meetings and seminars to enhance
• Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The
University reserves the right to add or change duties at any
• 7-10 years of related board management experience. Relevant
education or related experience as substitute.
• Experience in a complex medical or academic development
• Strong understanding of the issues, nuances and needs of
research, teaching and clinical operations in a complex health
sciences research and/or university environment.
• Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
• Comfortable interfacing with highest level of university
leadership and university supporters/volunteers.
• Demonstrated affinity for diplomacy and the ability to
cultivate and maintain relationships at all levels.
• Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining
• Ability to multi-task effectively and demonstrate strong
• Sound judgment and decision making
• A cooperative and team-oriented attitude
• Effective facilitator in various settings
Follows established USC and department policies, procedures,
objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety,
environmental, and infection control guidelines, including
adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.
USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff
& their family with access to the renowned university medical
network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer
contributions after six (6) months of employment; tuition benefits
for staff & their family; free online professional development
classes; discounts to football, basketball & other campus
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Administrative or
project administration experience.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is
committed to equal opportunity in employment.