Executive Director, Benefits and Wellness
Bucknell University, a private, highly ranked, national liberal
arts institution, is looking for an Executive Director of Benefits
and Wellness to lead the University's benefits, wellness and leave
management programs including direct collaboration with external
and internal partners for the University's self-funded health
insurance plans. Reporting to the Vice President for Human
Resources and as a member of the HR leadership team, the Executive
Director is responsible for strategic design, development and
implementation of forward-thinking programs and services to support
recruitment and retention of faculty and staff. This position
manages key vendor and consulting partnerships in establishing,
directing and achieving strategic benefits programs and is
responsible for the oversight of the daily administration of a
comprehensive set of benefit offerings.
The Executive Director is responsible for managing, collecting and
analyzing survey data on benefits and wellness programs, and
responding to internal and external requests for information on
benefits and wellness, and maintains and provides key metrics and
dashboards to inform decision-making for Human Resources. The
Executive Director demonstrates a high level of professionalism and
the skills needed to develop strong relationships at the University
as well as with business partners; and the ability to analyze,
balance, and plan for the benefits and wellness needs of the
Duties and Responsibilities include:
● Regular assessment of plan design, utilization, to ensure
alignment with University mission and goals.
● Design, evaluate and modify benefit plans, plan documents and
policies to ensure that programs are current, competitive and in
compliance with legal requirements.
● Oversee administration, direction, and review of employee benefit
programs which include: medical, retirement plans, dental, vision,
life/accidental death & dismemberment, short term disability,
long term disability, flexible spending, voluntary benefits,
wellness program, tuition assistance and more.
● Oversee the preparation and compilation of plan documents, vendor
contracts, agreements and all other documents required for the
administration of benefits and wellness programs.
● Direct preparation and distribution of written communications to
inform employees, retirees and cobra participants of benefits and
● Effectively utilizes metrics to assess, forecast, model, design,
and develop total compensation programs.
● Manages the preparation and completion of key employee reports
including Form 5500 and other internal/external compliance
● Manage relationships with external consultants, brokers, vendors
and plan providers.
● Oversee internal and external benefit plan audits.
● Direct and monitors the interface of all Human Resources and
Finance Office processes in the functional areas of payroll,
accounts receivable, and budgeting including benefit plan and other
● Supervise the benefits and wellness team, and provide support for
technical requirements and customer service programs in the
benefits and wellness areas. Mentor, lead and develop staff.
Partner in strategic organizational development conversations and
● Provide expert benefits and wellness support to all Human
Resources staff, and recommend process improvements for the
effective use of technology across these functional areas.
● Advise and consults with all areas on employment matters related
to benefits and wellness, and provides appropriate data and
training as necessary.
● Evaluate current programs to ensure compliance with governmental
regulations and competitiveness with other organizations. Monitor
federal and state laws and regulations relating to benefits
programs, and maintain current information on all technical
requirements for the delivery of effective benefits and wellness
● Ensure that the benefits programs and wellness initiatives
support the diverse needs of faculty and staff, and the broader
University diversity & inclusion goals.
● Actively contribute to Bucknell's efforts to foster a diverse and
inclusive campus community.
● Support and promote the University's sustainability efforts to
protect, maintain and increase the long-term viability and
resilience of the University's environmental, social and economic
● Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience.
● Ten years of relevant and progressive experience in Human
Resources including supervision of staff.
● Familiarity with benefits administration, compensation, and other
human resource processes and functions
● Advanced computing skills, proficient use of desktop word
processing, spreadsheet and presentation tools such as PowerPoint
to effectively gather, interpret, organize, and present data and
● Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
Demonstrate a high level of professionalism and exceptional written
and verbal communication and presentation skills as well as
outstanding customer service and organizational skills.
● Extreme accuracy and attention to detail, the ability to handle
confidential information, excellent communication and mathematical
skills, the ability to multi-task effortlessly in a hectic,
● Ability to collaborate, influence and establish trust with campus
partners. Previous experience building relationships and working
with sensitive and confidential information.
● Strong organizational skills; evidence of self-motivation;
demonstrated ability to plan, schedule and work both independently
and in teams within a service-oriented organization.
● Demonstrated success managing multiple projects and competing
priorities while balancing the need for quality with meeting
● Advanced degree in HR, Management/Business, Industrial Relations
or related field
● Professional certification (CEBS, PHR, SPHR, CCP, SHRM-SCP,
● Higher education experience
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496851/executive-director-benefits-and-wellness