Director or Sr. Director of Human Resources
Under the direction of the CFO, this position will strategize,
plan, organize and direct the human resources function and
operation of the University including benefits administration,
compensation, talent acquisition administration, employee
relations, learning and development, conflict resolution, employee
retention, formulation and administration of personnel policies and
procedures, government compliance, ergonomics, payroll
administration, and student employment administration. This
position will also supervise and evaluate the performance of HR
Operations and payroll staff. The Director/Sr. Director is expected
to model the University mission, vision and values, and align HR
programs in support of the University Strategic Operating
In fulfillment of the position, he/she will perform or delegate the
- Develop, align, and integrate a Human Resources Strategic Plan
for the well-being and retention of employees, covering
Benefits/Retirement, Compensation/Rewards, Employee Relations, HR
Compliance and Policies, Talent Management/Staff Development, and
HR Systems/Data in support of the larger University Strategic
- Serve as University liaison in employee grievance meetings as
required: communicate with supervisors and employees to resolve
related issues, complaints, work relationships, performance and
other related matters. Also works with our in-house and/or outside
legal counsel on matters of employment, benefits and related
- Direct the recruitment activities for staff and administrative
personnel and support the recruitment activities for faculty;
develop advertisements, finalize position descriptions, mailing,
and conduct background checks, and reference checks upon department
request; screen applications and resumes and respond to applicants;
serve on various search committees as requested.
- Direct and coordinate the position control process for
University personnel; review and update position
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff;
interview and select employees and recommend transfer,
reassignment, termination; respond to protests; review unemployment
insurance claims; direct the performance appraisal process for
staff and administrative personnel.
- Administer the compensation program for administration and
staff; conduct job analysis review and participate in compensation
studies; coordinate employment contracts and staff letters. Assist
provost office in faculty salary analysis and related
- Formulate, interpret and administer personnel regulations,
policies and contractual agreements; develop, update, and make
available employee handbooks; provide a variety of workshops and
seminars related to personnel issues and any of the HR
- Administer the benefits program for University employees;
communicate with insurance brokers and assist in negotiation with
carriers; direct the health insurance renewal and open enrollment
process; provide information to employee related to insurance and
- Supervise and evaluate the student employment process and
procedure for all University student workers; including student
payroll and related issues.
- Oversee the payroll administration policies and procedures
related to University-wide payroll and timekeeping practices and
- Oversees the worker's compensation program; communicates with
vendors related to workers compensation claims; maintains related
records as required; conduct ergonomic assessments in conjunction
with the workers compensation carrier.
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and laws related to
benefit administration in colleges and universities; recommend
policy and program alternatives as necessary.
- Assure compliance with personnel related laws, rules and
regulations, including Fair Labor Standards Act, Title VII
Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act,
Affordable Care Act, and others.
- Communicate with other administrators, University personnel and
contractors to coordinate activities and programs, resolves issues
and conflicts and exchanges information.
- Partner with Executive, senior and middle management by
providing professional HR consulting and support; serve as an
internal consultant on HR and organizational/operational
- Work with Executive management in reorganizations,
rightsizings, downsizings and all things related to Organizational
- Develop and prepare the annual preliminary budget for the
University human resources and institutional benefits programs;
analyze and review budgetary and financial data; control and
authorize expenditures in accordance with established
- Will be a Deputy under the Title IX Coordinator, directly or
indirectly involved in Title IX and Title VII matters, assisting
with investigations, and/or in an advisory role.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration
or other related field. Masters Degree preferred.
- Five to ten years of extensive experience in project
management, strategic planning and management/leadership role of
human resources or business management; including at least two
years of benefits administration experience is required.
- Understanding of Higher Education institution
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in the application and
interpretation of state and federal laws and regulations including
FMLA, CFRA, PDL, ADA, Title VII, EEOC, and FLSA, and their
application in a Higher Ed Christian environment, specifically a
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation,
organizational planning, organization development, employee
relations, safety, and training and development.
- Demonstrated user of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong leadership skills with sensitivity to the concerns of
- Ability to implement and manage new projects, processes, and
initiatives; hands-on experience with large scale
- Proven background in full cycle recruiting including sourcing,
interviewing and workforce planning.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills and the ability
to analyze, summarize, and effectively present data; including
departmental budget preparation and control.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Skill to utilize salary surveys and data analysis to authorize
salary offers, merit and equity increases.
- Advanced knowledge of contemporary principles of human resource
management, public personnel practices and techniques of labor
relations and skill in developing policy and procedure
- Ability to prepare and present various analytical materials in
relation to salary, benefits and labor relations.
- Foster a customer oriented work environment in conjunction with
administrators to develop and implement policies and practices that
reflect the vision and mission of Vanguard University.
- Demonstrate the ability to determine the key issues in a
particular operational situation, involve the appropriate
individuals, and develop appropriate plan of action while
maintaining confidentiality and discretion.
- Proven ability to work independently and demonstrate confidence
in prioritizing tasks effectively in a fast paced environment and
able to meet scheduled timelines.
- Direct the maintenance of a variety of reports and files
related to University personnel and benefits administration
programs and activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
associates, administrative officials and others concerned with
personnel matters and administration.
- Ability to supervise and train assigned staff including
organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work
- Knowledge and acceptance of principles and philosophies of
Full-time position. Salary is commensurate with education and
experience and includes a generous benefits package.
Applicant should submit a completed VUSC Application for Staff
Employment and current resume. All applications/resumes/materials
must be submitted electronically via e-mail to: RESUME@vanguard.edu . We are
located at: Vanguard University of Southern California, 55 Fair
Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626. Applications will be received until
position is filled or until a sufficient number of applications are
For information visit: https://www.vanguard.edu/resources/human-resources/employment-opportunities