COLLEGE LABORATORY ASSISTANT II – BIOLOGY DEPARTMENT
WILBUR WRIGHT COLLEGE
The Biology Department of Wilbur Wright College, one of the City
Colleges of Chicago, seeks a College Laboratory Assistant II to
perform para-professional work in a science laboratory in the
preparation, storage, and maintenance of chemical and bio-chemical
reagents, materials, and apparatus. This position takes general
responsibility for operation of laboratories and performs related
duties as required.
- Inventories and maintains necessary supplies for college
courses in biology, chemistry, physics, physical science, and
- Writes requisitions for chemicals, supplies, equipment, and
- Prepares reagents with qualitative and quantitative
- Maintains and does minor repair on various laboratory
- Calibrates and prepares scientific instrumentation for class
- Prepares bacteriological culture media and prepares class
experiments by making solutions, organizing the necessary
equipment, and pre-testing before demonstrated to the class.
- Feeds and provides daily care for live laboratory animals.
- Assembles equipment and supplies for other natural science
- Receives, stores, and distributes laboratory equipment,
chemicals, and supplies.
- Maintains the laboratory in an orderly and clean manner that
ensures safety rules.
- Writes educational documentation as needed.
- Enforces safety rules in the laboratory and aides the
instructor and students in demonstrations.
- Supervises, trains, schedules, and evaluates staff of student
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent supplemented by
two years of college chemistry or laboratory biology; or an
equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of routine laboratory procedures and
- Good knowledge of biological or chemical and physical science
- Knowledge of scientific instrumentation used in science
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of
- Ability to use a personal computer in all inventory and record
- Ability to instruct students on use of laboratory equipment
through use of strong organizational skills, supervisory skills,
and good verbal communication.
Monday through Thursday: 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within
six (6) months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!