09/22/21 – 10/06/21
On Campus Only Promotional Opportunity
EXTERNAL RELATIONS COORDINATOR/PUBLICIST (Public
Affairs/Communications Specialist III)
PUBLIC AFFAIRS/COMMUNICATION SPECIALIST -12 MONTH
Salary Range (From $ to $)
$4,104 - $7,425 per month / $49,248 - $89,100 annually (New
employees should anticipate being hired at the beginning of the
College of Business
Number of Positions
Regular: Permanent (after one-year probationary period)
Full-time/part-time (if part-time, indicate time base)
R09 - CSUEU Technical & Support Services
Hours Per Day
8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the
Days Per Week
5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
Working independently, under general direction of the Dean of the
College of Business ( COB ), this position is responsible for
leading, planning and executing a comprehensive and effective
external relations program that supports and enhances long-term
objectives and increases the visibility of the College of Business
( COB ). These responsibilities include public relations, marketing
communications, community outreach, digital marketing and event
activities, including fundraising and friend-raising events.
Responsibilities include professionally and strategically working
with COB staff, faculty, students, stakeholders, volunteers, and
sponsors to coordinate events, scholarships, and publications.
Incumbent is responsible for approximately 12-15 large-scale COB
events, with broad visible impact, duties include initiation,
execution, implementation, logistics, marketing, evaluation, budget
tracking, etc. The scope of duties are varied and multifaceted and
requires off-campus travel and evening/weekend hours to attend
meetings and/or coordinate events.
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1495-Position-Description
MANDATORY VACCINATIONS :
Effective September 30, 2021, the CSU will require faculty, staff,
and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized
against COVID -19 or have received a medical or religious
exemption. Selected candidates should be prepared to comply with
this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
. Questions can be sent to: email@example.com
(staff and management positions) or firstname.lastname@example.org
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Incumbent must possess:
Expert knowledge of:
Comprehensive, in-depth knowledge of:
- University communication objectives.
Thorough knowledge of:
- Communication, public affairs, media and/or marketing theories
- Marketing and research techniques and methods.
- Media vehicles.
Working knowledge of:
- Applicable copyright and other laws pertaining to publications
and news media.
- Media outlets and planning media publicity campaigns and
- Web communication techniques, vehicles and formats, such as
requirements for web accessibility and search engine
- Appropriate use of statistical techniques.
- Standard theories, practices, principles and techniques related
to communications in the public affairs, media, and marketing
- Interview techniques and the ability to define and deliver
- Applicable software packages and web production techniques and
- Protocols and institutional etiquette related to public and
Incumbent must possess:
- Expert networking and interpersonal skills including strong
consultative and persuasive skills to work with internal and
external constituents and the media.
- Expert story development and journalistic writing as well as
advanced editorial, content proofing, and design skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Expert writing and editorial skills.
Incumbent must have the ability to:
- Develop and execute communication strategies and plans to
promote and position the university.
- Translate university communication objectives into effective
web communication and media campaigns.
- Understand issues from a broad, strategic perspective and
exercise good judgment and discretion in developing strategic plans
and interpreting policies.
- Effectively plan and manage projects and resources necessary
for web production, such as budgets and staff.
- Market story concepts to university officials and media
- Use market research to enhance the impact of communication
strategies and campaigns.
- Apply standard theories, practices, principles and techniques
related to communications in the public affairs, media, and
- Effectively use media outlets, plan media coverage, publicity
campaigns for the university and events.
- Build and manage sophisticated media contacts.
- Keep abreast of campus events and provide subject matter
expertise in relation to current events.
- Identify and capitalize on media opportunities that promote the
university and increase positive media coverage.
- Effectively use web technology, media strategies and techniques
to achieve communication goals.
- Analyze and select pertinent facts and integrate them into
- Apply market research to identify communication needs and
- Effectively lead creative and technical staff.
- Appropriately handle sensitive and confidential
- Use and maintain currency with applicable computer software
packages and systems.
- Respond to technical problems and issues in a fast paced
- Operate standard office equipment, use a broad range of
technology systems and packages (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel,
Outlook), apply expertise to new situations and quickly learn and
use new office support technology.
- Perform assigned duties.
Required Education and/or Experience
The qualifications for this position are normally obtained through
a college degree, which includes relevant coursework in the
Four years of related professional or technical experience such as
organizational communications, media, marketing, or public
Additional Requirements for this Position
Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they
may be considered specialized skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in from an accredited institution in writing,
communications, multimedia or related field
- Event coordination experience.
- Recruiting and marketing experience.
- Experience with budget reporting and database maintenance.
- Public speaking/presentation experience.
- Experience in using Google applications.
- Experience with web design software, such as Cascade, or other
Web Content Management System and social media technology such as
Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU
policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a
background check (including a criminal records check, sexual
offender registry check, and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming
this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the
background check may impact the job offer or continued employment
of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified
as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position
based on CSU guidelines. Incumbent is responsible for the safety
and security of Level 1 data, sometimes also referred to as Level 1
protected data. This is confidential information that is in most
cases protected by statutes, regulations, or other legal
- This position as set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised
July 21, 2017 is not designated as a required mandated reporter
under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act.
- The duties of this position will include participation in a
decision that may have a material/financial benefit to the
incumbent. Therefore, this is a “designated position” under the
California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code and the
incumbent will be required to file a Form 700: Statement of
Economic Interest and is subject to the regulations of the Fair
Political Practices Commission. (Group/Category: Procurement Card
Holder, 2) Note this designation is applicable only if Procurement
Card is issued.
- A valid California Driver’s License must be maintained
throughout employment in this position, as well as successful
completion and continued compliance of CSU Defensive Driving
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential
job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable
accommodation. This position alternates between remaining in a
stationary position operating a personal computer for long periods
of time and frequently moving about inside the office. Must be able
to travel to meetings and events off campus, and across campus to
other offices and buildings. Event coordination responsibilities
include set-up and break-down of events which may require bending,
twisting, lifting and/or carrying objects, to decorate event
Work is primarily performed in a typical office environment
operating standard office equipment. Position involves frequent to
constant interaction with students, faculty, staff, volunteers,
alumni, and the general public. Frequent travel between campus,
office and off-site for meetings, requires evening and weekend
hours to attend/assist with meetings and events. Events held
outdoors may involve inclement weather, odors, dirty and/or dusty
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick
leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU
benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a
period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than
half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU
benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act ( ACA ) benefits is based on an
appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum
of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works
an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement
period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash
only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
California State University ( CSU ), Chico is a comprehensive and
residential public University, holding Hispanic-Serving Institution
( HSI ) designation and operating as part of the 23-campus CSU
system. The University enrolls over 17,000 students from diverse
cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, with over half
identifying as first-generation college students. Graduate and
undergraduate programs boast high-quality research experiences,
exceptional faculty mentoring, and civic and global engagement
opportunities. The campus motto, “Today Decides Tomorrow,” is
brought to life by inclusive pedagogy, experiential learning, and
co-curricular programming. The Chico Experience prepares students
to be critical thinkers, engaged citizens, and inspired stewards of
environmental, social, and economic resources. Together, they will
become leaders solving the challenges of the 21st century.
The campus is located in Northern California, 90 minutes from the
state capital, Sacramento, and a three-hour drive from San
Francisco Bay Area. A safe residential community, Chico offers
year-round natural beauty, outdoor leisure activities, and a
thriving arts, music, and events scene. We acknowledge and are
mindful that CSU, Chico stands on lands that were originally
occupied by the first people of this area, the Mechoopda, and we
recognize their distinctive spiritual relationship with this land
and the waters that run through campus.
CSU, Chico is committed to recruiting outstanding candidates who
reflect the diverse, intercultural, and intersectional identities
of our student body. The ideal candidate will embrace our values
predicated on the primacy of student success and the elimination of
achievement gaps, have demonstrated experience working with diverse
populations, and will contribute to policies, programs, and
activities that support an inclusive, accessible, and equitable
learning and working environment.
The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not
discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color,
ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender
identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition,
National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status,
or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date)
Close Date (posting close date)
Open Until Filled
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Optional Applicant Documents