Direct and oversee programs and assist with directing the
day-to-day operations of a department or unit.
The Associate Director of Housing reports to the Director and
has primary responsibility for overseeing the housing operations
component of the office; including contracts and assignments,
public relations, facility operations, coordinating communications
with students interested in on-campus housing, maintaining the
departmental operations calendar, serving on departmental and
University committees, and other duties as assigned.
Typical Allocation of Duties:
Direct day-to-day operations - 30%
Assist in directing the day-to-day operations of the department or
Oversee and monitor - 15%
Oversee and monitor departmental or unit initiatives, programs, and
Manage activities - 15%
Manage various activities for a specific department, unit, or
function. Participate in the provision of professional services as
Supervise employees - 15%
Supervise and coordinate the selection, training, and development
Represent the department - 10%
Represent the department at meetings, functions, or other
Assist with the budget - 10%
Provide assistance with budget development and monitoring.
Assume duties - 5%
Assume the duties of the Chief Officer or Director in their
- Provide direct supervision of the Financial Analyst, Contract
and Assignments Coordinator, Graduate Assistant of Facilities and
Student Facilities Assistants.
- Work closely with Auxiliary Services and CGL to determine a
preventative and life cycle maintenance schedule for the residence
- Manage large-scale departmental projects for renovations and
- Manage with the Director of Housing and Residence Life the fee
schedule and budget.
- Oversee the on-campus housing assignment process in concert
with the Contract and Assignments Coordinator
- Oversee the communication with the Office of Admissions in
regards to housing records and application data.
- Train the Admissions staff on University Housing policies and
procedures needed to communicate and educate incoming and
- Perform professional or managerial work including advanced data
analysis and synthesis.
- May develop policies, procedures, or methodologies based on new
facts or knowledge; or interpret or apply established
- Produce an occupancy projection report for the Director of
Housing and Residence Life every other week.
- Produce an occupancy projection report for the BOR each
- Assist in the development of a departmental calendar
- Oversee the departmental mail, email account, and primary phone
lines as the first point of contact for constituent inquiries
- Direct, manage, or lead others; may determine work procedures,
assign duties, maintain harmonious relations, or promote
efficiency; may develop and administer operational programs; and/or
may write or present extremely complex papers and reports.
- Communicate with operational and functional leaders; read and
interpret high impact practices
- Execute the daily operations of residence halls and housing
- Maintain housing rosters, occupancy, and revenue projection
- Collaborate with the University Attorney to develop,
administer, and maintain the housing contract, and other legal
issues for the department.
- Oversee and is responsible for all maintenance concerns, health
and fire safety inspections.
- Provide oversight of all residence hall marketing,
communication strategies, and recruitment materials (printed and
web based) to continue high occupancy patterns for the
- Participate in V-State City Tour Recruitment.
- Leadership on a department and a divisional level (chairing a
committee, leader of a work group or initiative, etc.).
- Oversight of all the housing appeals process - contract
releases and freshman residency exemptions.
- Attend meetings, participate in campus-wide committees, and
assist with annual projects and events assigned through the Housing
& Residence Life department and the Division of Student
- Serve on departmental committees as requested.
- Maintain furniture inventory for residence halls.
- Communicate effectively within department on operational
objectives and oversee maintaining of master calendar of activities
as well as share to other departments on campus as
- Serves in the on-call rotation.
Bachelor's degree in a specified field and five (5) years of
related work experience. Professional licensure, certification,
and/or designation may be required in some areas.
Conditions of Employment
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a
background check. Position May Require Credit Check (if using
P-Card, working with Cash, etc.).
Position Requires completion of VSU’s Annual Compliance Training
course (such as State Business Transactions, Drug Free Workplace,
Anti-Harassment Policy, Introduction to Information Security,
Workers Compensation, Motor Vehicle Policy, USG Ethics
Policy, Conflict of Interest/ Outside Activities Policy, Leave
Procedures for Faculty and Staff, Georgia Open Records Act, Family
Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and Contracts 101.
Supervisory positions require training in FMLA and