Function of Position:
Reporting to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of
the Faculty, the Director of Institutional Research and
Effectiveness will play a key role in enabling individuals, and
therefore Wartburg College as a whole, to be continually
student-centered, relevant, agile, effective, sustainable, and
contributing to a greater good. This will include leading and
overseeing the process and implementation of institutional
research, campus-wide assessment (e.g., curricular, co-curricular,
institutional), program review evaluation, accreditation, and
compliance requirements at the state, regional and federal levels.
This position promotes a philosophy of continuous improvement and
seeks to foster a culture of data-informed decision-making.
Principal Duties and
1. Evidence-based Data-Analysis and Planning
- Collaborates across the institution to encourage a culture of
strategic planning and continuous quality improvement.
- Provides reliable, relevant, and quality data, analysis,
information, and recommendations to facilitate planning, budgeting,
accountability, accreditation, program evaluation, assessment, and
development of policy decisions.
- Identifies emerging issues, challenges, and opportunities,
anticipating questions through review of data, information, and
research and policy studies, including those related to
institutional, state, national, conversations around higher
- Supports pre- and post-award grants management through
collection, assessment, analysis, and reporting of data.
- Working with the IT Department, the Registrar, and the Data
Governance Committee, oversees the organization, storage, and
accessibility of institutional data.
- Operates a variety of software packages used for data
management, statistical analysis, and visual display of data;
learns and applies emerging technologies as necessary.
2. Assessment (20%)
- Play a leadership role in developing, implementing, and
updating a campus-wide assessment plan, in coordination with the
Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty and
other key personnel.
- Serve as primary liaison to Information Technology Services in
the implementation of assessment software. Oversee training and use
of the assessment software by faculty, staff, and students.
- Act as a liaison to academic and non-academic departments and
programs in developing and implementing program assessment plans
and academic program review.
- Work with the assessment committee to implement a comprehensive
program to develop faculty for the work of assessment.
- Interact with external entities, including the Higher Learning
Commission, regarding assessment activities.
3. Accreditation (20%)
- Assist in collecting, organizing, and uploading data to
appropriate websites in support of reaffirmation of accreditation
- Coordinate preparation of reaccreditation submission materials
to include data and accompanying narrative.
- Serve as liaison with faculty and staff in reaffirmation of
- Work with academic departments in support of program
accreditations, including, but not limited to, education, music,
social work, and music therapy.
4. Academic Program Administration and Review
- Attend faculty committee meetings and others as assigned.
- Facilitate the integration of assessment in academic program
- Coordinate Program review process for programs in Academic
In collaboration with the supervisor, the employee is
responsible for determining work assignments referring to policies
and general objectives for guidance. Employee independently devises
new methods to meet conditions and confers with supervisor
regarding unusual matters.
Requires Master’s degree, doctorate preferred. Advanced computer
and system skills are essential. The ideal candidate must have the
ability to understand and promote both qualitative and quantitative
research processes and perform basic statistical data analysis.
Excellent communication and collaboration skills are necessary,
along with the ability to establish rapport and engagement.
Previous experience in higher education, institutional research and
effectiveness, assessment, and accreditation is preferred.
Send letter of application which includes the qualities you
offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission,
curriculum vita or résumé, final transcript, and contact
information for three references electronically to: email@example.com. See http://www.wartburg.edu for further
information about the college. Screening begins immediately and
continues until position is filled.