Thursday, October 07, 2021
Salary is $34,230.58. Compensation package is comprised of many
college paid benefits including health and life insurance,
retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College
and the University of Florida.
Full-time, Career Service, Paygrade C4, Non-Exempt
Northwest Campus 3000 NW 83rd Street, Gainesville,
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has
been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the
United States. Santa Fe College is a
student-centered institution with a commitment to open access,
academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa
Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of
Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and
Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate
and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate
climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural
events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and
Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls
over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60%
of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the
The English Department seeks an Academic Assistant to provide
general administrative support to the faculty, staff and
students. The Academic Assistant is responsible for general
administrative assistance in support of the daily operations of the
English Department, including office and payroll tasks.
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Greet visitors, answer phones, respond to inquiries, resolve
issues based on established college policies, and make appropriate
referrals as necessary.
- Perform a wide variety of administrative tasks including data
entry and the drafting, editing, and revision of letters, reports,
and other materials.
- Organize and facilitate meetings and special events by
scheduling and coordinating dates and times, making facility
arrangements, taking attendance, and preparing agendas and
- Perform various duties related to maintaining one or more
individual schedules and coordinate travel arrangements when
- Assist in the preparation and submission of faculty load
sheets, development and maintenance of course schedules, and
collection of syllabi and faculty office hours.
- Assist in the resolution of student issues based on
pre-determined college policies or department practices.
- Manage payroll functions including the submission and audit of
timesheet entries for staff, faculty, and work-study employees and
processing appointments for adjunct faculty.
- May coordinate the adjunct faculty department orientation
- Perform basic, routine bookkeeping functions relative to
program/department budget, which includes tracking purchases and
expenditures and may include assisting in the budget development
- Facilitate, monitor, and/or oversee department purchasing,
inventory, and requisitioning of supplies and equipment, which may
include the coordination of textbook orders.
- Prepare special reports, summaries, and replies to inquiries by
compiling data and statistics from various departmental resources,
which may include preparing common final packets, managing return
of packets, running scantrons, and posting results for
- Maintain accurate databases.
- Assist in the development or upkeep of the department/area
- May instruct and oversee the activities of work-study
- Assist in the planning and coordination of special events,
which may include logistics, contracts, hospitality, staffing,
- Comply with all published College Rules, procedures,
guidelines, and laws/regulations governing public employees,
including but not limited to those related to document
retention and destruction, FERPA, and confidentiality.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed,
accessible, and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Chair, English Department
degree and four years of related work experience or a combination
of completed education and/or work experience equal to six
Additional Requirements: A criminal
background check will be conducted.
Preferred: Experience in
higher education administration is preferred. Knowledge of learning
management systems and specifically Canvas is preferred. Proficient
in Excel and Word.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communication – able to effectively communicate in a
professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using
preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
- Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team
player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative
relationships with all levels within and external to the
- Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural
- Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule,
and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or
ahead of established time frames.
- Multi-task - Ability to expeditiously organize, coordinate,
manage, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks simultaneously to
swiftly assess a situation, determine a logical course of action,
and apply the appropriate response.
- Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive,
able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid
- Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level
of interactive service to others, building relationships and
addressing identified needs.
- Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of
Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
- Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism,
civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related
Application Process: All
applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a
letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as college
transcripts (if applicable) to be considered for this position.
College transcripts should be submitted to confirm academic
qualifications. If you do not have official transcripts, please
submit your GED or equivalent as unofficial transcripts. Official
transcripts must be submitted prior to any employment offer when
academic credentials are the basis for meeting minimum
qualifications. Unofficial transcripts are only
accepted for review purposes.