Suffolk University is delighted to announce a career opportunity
as a Senior System Administration within the Information Technology
Services Infrastructure group. We are seeking a highly motivated
Senior System Administrator with significant experience managing,
deploying, and maintaining Servers, Storage, and Virtualization
technologies. The candidate will be responsible for troubleshooting
system issues, suggesting enhancements to improve system
performance as well as writing system scripts for daily
administration and supporting documentation to automate repeatable
tasks. Install new software releases, system upgrades, evaluate and
install patches and resolve software and hardware-related
This position is located in Boston, Massachusetts. There is an
opportunity to work a hybrid schedule (two days off-campus/remote
and three days on campus in downtown Boston.)
The successful candidate will also be tasked with performing
system backups and recovery as well as maintaining data files and
monitoring system configuration to ensure data integrity. The
Senior System Administrator will assist with securing and hardening
infrastructure technologies and creating/maintaining system
procedural and technical documentation.
Responsible for applying technology and designing system
architectures to align with organizational strategic business
objectives. This position will be responsible for the optimal
performance of the University’s technical infrastructure and
delivery of services to our users. Consult with project managers,
analysts, programmers, administrators, and other IT professionals
on issues such as system design, limitations and capabilities, and
system performance requirements. Researches new technologies and
applies new ideas to enterprise business needs. Performs
post-mortem problem investigations to identify and correct
inconsistencies and problems with operating system and application
- Assumes management responsibility for systems, including, but
not limited to, Windows, AIX, and Linux platforms housing various
- Provision and maintain Windows and Linux servers for
production/test/development use. Coordinate with the stakeholders
in the configuration and deployment of required servers.
- Manage the use of Linux/Unix-based monitoring tools, such as
Nagios and Nmon, and patch management and update tools such as yum,
apt and dnf.
- Perform standard administration tasks including monitoring,
installations/upgrades of the operating system and applicable
- Manage and update the AIX NIM (Network Install Manager) server.
Use of NIM server to deploy updates to AIX lpars.
- Manage and make Use of IBM HMC to manage the lpars.
- Troubleshoot, investigate and resolve operating system
- Create procedures for technical processes.
- Document all production changes in the ServiceNow change
- Manage file transfer integrations to and from remote servers.
For example, the secure transmission of sensitive information to
the bank by sftp and public key authentication.
- Perform and complete requests for services. (E.g.
backups/restores, patch application, user account maintenance,
- Monitor and maintain hardware components, working with the
vendor for support when necessary.
- Perform proactive measures, such as system tuning, to maintain
a stable, efficient allocation of resources.
- Utilize basic project management skills to assist in the
development of plans/timelines for projects. Provide status reports
and exchange relevant information with management and other members
of the ITS staff.
- Work closely with the network team to
maintain/improve/troubleshoot various components when needed.
- Work closely with the Senior Enterprise System Admin(ERP)/DBA
to ensure that the Colleague environments maintain 100%
- Work closely with and support the ITS Applications team on data
flow to external applications.
- In coordination with other ITS Infrastructure team members,
monitor Data Center environment (HVAC and Power) and Coordinate
with facilities services and vendors to ensure the Data Center
maintains reasonably optimal conditions.
- Effectively uses online monitoring tools such as Schneider APC
interfaces such StructureWare and Symmetra.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Science and/or equivalent
combination of experience.
- 5+ years of proven knowledge working with server and storage
hardware, software, including VMware, HP Server, EMC VNX,
ExtremeIO, and PURE Storage Systems, AIX, Windows, Linux
- 5+ years’ experience with VMware / Microsoft Server related
experience or equivalency.
- Significant and current experience administering AIX. Must have
the ability to perform the IBM/AIX tasks previously outlined in the
responsibilities. Our current version of AIX Version is 7.2 and the
current platform is Power 9 running on an IBM e950 in the primary
datacenter and Power7 on an IBM p770 at the DR Site.
- Experience writing shell scripting in ksh and bash.
- Knowledge of various webserver packages such as Apache and
Tomcat, and the software used by webservers.
- Knowledge of the various monitoring tools such as Nagios and
IBM’s nmon, as well as load testing tools such as Apache JMeter,
NewRelic, Ipswitch’s IMacro.
- Knowledge of the principals of ITIL framework and the lifecycle
- A desire to expand and improve professional/technical knowledge
and competency. This can be demonstrated by belonging to and
participating in professional organizations, attending seminars,
attending classes or tutorials, researching technical documents,
- Knowledge of networking concepts (TCP/IP, DNS, etc.).
- Knowledge of database management systems such as MySQL, and
- Ability to work independently and proactively.
- Demonstrated analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Some on-call responsibilities for the position are expected and
required, anticipated frequency will depend on the situation.