Job Summary/Basic Function
At Maryville University, we power dreams, not just degrees. Our
vision it to be the innovative leader in higher education promoting
a revolution in student learning that expands access and
opportunities for all.
Maryville is searching for an energetic and forward-thinking
Director of Public safety to join its dynamic Student Life team,
reporting to and collaborating with the Vice President for Student
Life. The Director is an armed private security officer and the
position is responsible for leading, developing, implementing and
supervising a comprehensive department to secure the safety and
security of the university’s students, faculty, staff and visitors
on the main campus and off-campus facilities. The Director will
direct, plan, and manage all functions and operations of the Public
Safety Department as well as supervise the enforcement of
University regulations, initiate and direct activities focused on
maintaining and improving upon a safe and secure campus. The
Director will also work closely with the community to administer a
comprehensive campus safety and emergency response program
including safety education, safety policies, and emergency
The Director has overall responsibility for the budget, planning,
development, and management of the department, and establishing
priorities for campus safety, including short and long-range
emergency plans, parking, and CLERY compliance. The Director
oversees a staff of 9 non-sworn but armed security offices, with
limited arrest powers, and three non-sworn administrative
specialists, including the Director. The Director is required to be
available 24 hours a day for emergencies.
The successful candidate must be committed to fostering a
culturally diverse atmosphere for student, staff, and faculty, and
have a passion for working in a fast-paced, innovative,
student-centered work environment.
• Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice or related field and at
least 6-8 years of progressively responsible leadership experience
within a public safety organization are required.
• Strong written and oral communication skills are essential. A
proven track record of effective supervision within a public safety
setting is essential.
• Appreciation for and experience working with a diverse
• The ability to maintain high morale and a collaborative
environment with the command structure of the department.
• The ability to develop effective and sustained relationships with
students, faculty, staff, and administrators is required.
• The ability to maintain a high degree of visibility and represent
the Department of Public Safety on campus, in the local community
and serve a central role in establishing and maintaining strong
collaborative relationships with university constituents and local,
regional, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.
• Experience with Clery Compliance, VAWA, and Title IX
• Must have a state Driver's License or ability to secure one
within 60 days of employment with a good driving record is
required. Appointment is subject to a satisfactory background
investigation, including employment verification.
• Requires passing a psychological screening and drug
• Candidates must be able to attain and maintain an armed private
security officer license under the guidelines of the St. Louis
County Police Department as well as certification to carry OC
spray, ASP baton and handcuffs.
• A master’s degree is preferred as is experience leading a public
safety agency in a College or University setting.
• A proven leader in the campus security and public safety field
with a track record of building strong collaborative relationships
with key departments on campus.
• Experience leading a diverse staff that provides a full range of
security and public safety services.
• Experience developing long term goals, strategic plans,
operational policies and procedures.
• Experience developing physical security plans and implementing
security systems and solutions to enhance the physical security of
• Experience overseeing the design and implementation of physical
security for construction and renovation of facilities.
• Experience developing proposals for and implementing capital
• A track record of managing a public safety operations
• Experience collaborating with essential internal and external
departments to manage the successful response to emergencies.
• Passion to manage and lead a dynamic public safety
• A track record of managing and leading crisis/emergency
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of
a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment
authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity
and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability,
gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin,
race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or
any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of
the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring,
training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and
Advertised: September 21, 2021