A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing
academic success. This role will serve as Content Writer
supporting the Office of Public Affairs
related to COVID-19 communications, and other university
communications as necessary, including emergency communications,
and keeping abreast of the latest news and trends in higher
education. The writer will write a series of press releases,
memorandum, and blog articles as assigned by the Office of the
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Assist with creation, posting, and dissemination of content
that features key resources that drives traffic to FMU’s website
and supports other outreach efforts.
- Evaluate communications for success using Google Analytics or
in e-mail and social media metrics.
- Write blog articles in categories such as university news,
diversity, student life, student wellness, career development,
higher education policy, and financial aid.
- Work with the Director of Communications & Marketing to
craft story ideas, provide updates, and set deadlines.
- Cultivate authoritative sources and conduct interviews with
- Create and adhere to a university communications plan that
addresses all forms of communication and media, including but not
limited to, email, print, web, and social media.
- Ability to remain tactful, calm, and persuasive in
controversial and/or confrontational situations.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the
supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the
- Ability to handle information of sensitive and confidential
nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills. Excellent
communication (oral and written), organizational, and time
management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to
work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment
is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative,
resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of
average weight up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking
for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA),
those functions of the job which are identified as essential are
required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will
be given careful consideration.
- The position requires a master’s degree in marketing or
communications. Experience in social media and e-mail best
practices. Knowledge of marketing online content and engaging with
a variety of audiences (e.g., higher education).
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and
understanding of the organizational structure, workflow, and
- Experience covering education or a related area(s); ability to
work independently in a deadline-driven environment; strong
knowledge of AP style.
- Strong research capabilities and knowledge of sourcing
- Ability to translate complex topics into clear, concise
- Basic knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO); high
attention to detail.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check
and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of
interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if
We offer a competitive salary commensurate to experience. In
addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a
list of three professional references (at least one from a previous
employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of
application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the
position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity