Business Services at the University at Buffalo is seeking an
Assistant Vice President ( AVP ) for Purchasing and Contract
The AVP reporting to the Associate Vice President for Business
Services and Controller is responsible for the strategic vision,
leadership, planning and management of the purchasing functions for
the university and oversees the execution of daily work with in
Purchasing and Contracts Services, including budget authority over
department expenditures, and supervision of staff.
The AVP is responsible for the development of value-added business
processes, optimizing cost savings on purchases, facilitating
contract and guiding supplier diversity initiatives.
This position is expected to develop and implement short and
long-term strategies to proactively maximize the use of university
resources with a visionary and continuous improvement mindset,
including, but not limited to, effective contracting, efficient
sourcing and supply management, and detailed spend analytics. The
AVP is expected to continually look for ways to streamline and
eliminate unnecessary or redundant business processes. The AVP will
work to enhance equity and inclusion goals in hiring, business
process, and supplier diversity.
The AVP is responsible for ensuring proper use of university
resources and the adequacy of internal controls related to
contracting and procurement. The AVP establishes and maintains
consistent and compliant contracting policies, procedures and
guidelines across the institution and must have an understanding of
public university finance and budgeting, as well as a thorough
understanding of policy, practice, administrative rules, and
applicable state and federal law. The AVP is expected to keep
abreast of any changes that affect the university concerning
contracting and procurement, and to inform or otherwise provide
training to their staff and other stakeholders.
The AVP also negotiates a wide variety of sensitive and high-level
university contracts and partners with General Counsel and senior
leadership on university initiatives. On behalf of the university,
the position will lead outreach to campus stakeholders, peer
agencies, and the regional business community, including MBE
entities, and ensure access to university business
To be successful in this role the AVP must demonstrate:
Outstanding Benefits Package
- Leadership and interpersonal skills, including capacity to
foster constructive outcomes in a complex environment involving an
array of distinct stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience in the development of policies that direct the
conduct of contracting and procurement processes to eliminate bias
and barriers for businesses owned by minorities, women, and
veterans and emerging small businesses to procure goods and
- Extensive experience and ability, at management level in a
strategic, procurement and contract management function.
- Effective change management leadership.
- Ability to identify and predict real potential long-term
implications of policy decisions concerning, contracting and
- Experience fostering inclusive excellence to enable success for
people from diverse backgrounds, while looking to diversity as a
source of enrichment and strength.
- Listening skills and the ability to interpret the needs of
units and departments across campus to ensure their procurement
needs are met.
- High ethical standards, mature judgments, and discretion.
- High standards of accuracy and precision and be highly
- Ability to establish credibility and influence across the
- Ability to foster a culture where creative solutions are
encouraged, explored and evaluated.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships
across a wide stakeholder group.
- The ability to prioritize workload and proactively manage
expectations in relation to agreed deliverables, even when faced
with competing priorities.
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There
are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement
plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy
mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to
support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our
to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public
research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies
ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to
achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures
challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed.
Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further
knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who
are valued for their talents and their impact on global society.
Visit our website
to learn more
about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply
including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or other related
- Seven years’ experience negotiating contracts and procurements
and/or seven years’ experience drafting complex contracts and
- Five years’ experience managing, directing, and coordinating
the workload and work product of others to strategic outcomes.
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing
- Experience in establishing procurement processes that eliminate
bias and barriers for businesses owned by minorities, women, and
veterans and emerging small businesses to procure goods and
- Experience working with State and Federal Regulations,
including public procurements laws.
- Governmental and/or High Education procurement and contracting
- Experience providing training on contracting and procurement
regulations and policies to diverse audiences.
- Certified Professional Public Buyer ( CPPB ), Certified Public
Procurement Officer ( CPPO ), Certified Purchasing Manager ( CPM ),
Certified Professional in Supply Management ( CPSM )< Certified
Supply Chain Professional ( CSCP ) or other industry recognized
professional certification in procurement, contracting, or supply
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.