POSITION SUMMARY: The successful candidate will
be responsible for assisting in maintaining safety and security
throughout the Fisk University campus. He or she will assist in
identifying and establishing programs for orienting new employees;
assisting in planning the training and development of staff; and
ensuring all policies and procedures are up-to-date, well organized
and easily accessible to all staff and students. He or she
will ensure that detailed records of performance and training
status of all employees are maintained. Position requires a
minimum of 40 hours worked per week and 24/7 on call
- Responsible for accomplishing the mission of the Office of
Campus Safety, to provide for both the security and safety of the
- Provide effective management and front-line supervision of all
Campus Safety Officers and Dispatchers on assigned shift to include
- Supervises all subordinate staff to include contracted staff
officers, student employees, further managing staff time and
scheduling and evaluating job performance of each.
- Develops and manages staffing schedules and deployment needs of
respective shifts and/or events as required.
- Develop and implement field training mechanisms for all staff
officers/other that are necessary to provide adequate
- Conduct both walking and mobile patrols of interior and
exterior locations/areas of the campus and remain highly
- Responds to access/securing requests in accordance with the
policies and procedures of the Key and Access Control
- Monitors all Campus access points, monitoring all campus entry
(vehicular and pedestrian) and egress. This to include traffic
direction, visitor assistance and entry validation when
- Completes required paperwork in compliance with the Campus
Safety Operations Manual and University Handbook, including but not
limited to, field reports, operations notes, incident reports,
accident reports, traffic citations, alcohol citations, more.
- Provides emergency/crisis/routine response as situations arise,
in accordance with University and departmental policy, Federal,
State and local laws.
- Annually attend in-service training provided by the University
and pass with an 80% or better, each testing instrument.
- Perform all other routine and daily Campus Safety services that
are also required of staff.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Campus Safety.
- SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND
- Excellent verbal, written and other interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively as a team or independently, with
- Security supervisory experience preferred
- Proficient knowledge in computer operations
- Experience working in a university or college setting,
preferably, in the area of campus security or Campus Safety,
- Must possess proficient report writing skills
- Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Applicant must possess an understanding of the Tennessee Based
Reporting System (TIBRS) and The Jeanne Clery
Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics
Act. The ability to speak well and instruct safety related
classes to the campus community
school diploma with two years of college experience preferred
and/or adequate level of experience in safety or security
Experience: Prior military, police
or post-secondary venue experience preferred. Minimum of two years’
experience preferred, with one year at a supervisory
State of Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance Armed
licensing and certifications preferred.
Additional Requirements: A background and/or
credit check will be required of the successful applicant. An
official transcript (if applicable) and names, addresses and phone
numbers of three (3) references will be required of the successful