Academic Excellence and Student Performance is responsible for
the further development, implementation, and evaluation of the
university-wide initiative to impact retention, persistence, and
graduation rates at Fisk University. The AESP Counselor provides
academic advisement and other intervention to enhance student
performance. In addition, this position will serve as the Veterans
Affairs Recruiter and will be responsible for recruiting veterans
of all military branches, active military, military family members
and civilians. This position will be based at our Clarksville,
- Assist in identifying and/or selecting eligible students to
participate in the Program
- Provide individual and group advisement, including academic
advising, financial literacy education, academic skills and study
strategies, career exploration, and personal support.
- Monitor students’ academic progress on an ongoing basis;
recommends appropriate interventions to improve performance as
needed and follows up to ensure that students are following through
with recommended interventions.
- Assist with the development and implementation of program
activities which will aid participating students in their academic,
career, and personal success.
- Maintain up-to-date individual student records and reports;
Assist with other data collection as required.
- Coordinate and supervise the AESP peer mentor program.
- Recruit Veterans to attend Fisk University.
- Represent Fisk University while attending college fairs and
- Assist with planning, organizing activities related to student
veterans as directed by the Supervisor.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this
position may be required to perform a combination of the following
supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each
function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the
requirements of the University.
- Prepare flyers for mass mailings, curricula reports, duplicate
instructional materials, class handouts, forms for documentation of
various program activities, contact notes and other materials for
usage by participants.
- Assist with data management, surveys, and program
- Assist with the preparation of annual reports, grant proposals
and other documents
- Maintain social media presence and monthly newsletter for
communication and educational needs of participants.
- Assist in organizing the scheduling of physical facilities,
procurement of audio-visual aids, refreshments, and other
materials, replication of materials and performance of necessary
logistical or other tasks to ensure effective implementation of
quality programming and activities.
- Attend appropriate Student Success conferences and trainings
(state, regional) and/or University meetings and trainings as
assigned to promote continuous professional growth.
- Serves as a professional resource to Fisk University
Clarksville campus regarding helpful strategies for working with
- Collaborate with other program areas on activities to enhance
the holistic wellbeing of student veterans and active military and
- Advise students regarding academic concerns, assists them to
obtain support and /or resources by referrals to meet specific
- Assist the Veteran Affairs Coordinator in assigned activities,
promotional efforts and programs during the academic year.
- Provide administration assistance duties as needed at Fisk
University Clarksville campus and develop, prepare and present
- Assist and perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Must be detailed in documentation and follow-up and have time
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Three or more years of experience in counseling, academic
advising and/or other student- centered activities.
- Goal oriented and student centered.
- Strong communication, oral, written and interpersonal
- Ability to develop and conduct presentations for a variety of
- Grant writing and proposal development.
- Energetic and enthusiastic personality.
- Flexibility and able to travel periodically.
- Ability to work beyond eight hours day and on weekends when
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Able to handle several complex tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment; and work
independently with little supervision.
- Knowledge of the academic setting and financial aid
- Knowledge of diagnostic tests used to assess preparation for
- Knowledge and experience in provision of academic support to
“at risk” students.
- High proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, and Publisher), CAMS, student databases (Blumen,
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Counseling,
Psychology. Education or a related field. Master’s degree
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years of
experience in higher education providing direct services to
Licenses or Certificates: N/A