The Director of the University Union is responsible for
providing coordination, guidance, and general oversight for the
daily operations, services, and programs of the University Union.
This includes, but is not limited to: the Event Services Office,
Building Operations, and the various program service and desk areas
of the facility; budget and accounting functions;
leases/contracts/space agreements; personnel management; public
relations; customer service; and other matters related to the
University Union. The Director has responsibility for implementing
and maintaining the financial operations, promoting racial equity
and inclusivity, creating and upholding policies and procedures of
the University Union in accordance with the University of Utah
The Director of the University Union reports to the Vice
President for Student Affairs through the AVP for Finance and
University of Utah Job ID# PRN27257 00318 - University Union
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with Experience
WORK SCHEDULE: Full time
- Responsible for the governing and policy making body of the
- Responsible for the administration of a 175,000 square foot
multi-purpose facility and prepares and administers annual
operating budgets, totaling 3 million dollars.
- Supervises a staff of over 60 (27 full time).
- Will be knowledgeable about Diversity, Equity and
Inclusion best practices as they relate to the mission of the
department and university as a whole.
- Develops and leads an efficient diverse department by
recruiting, hiring, training, retaining, evaluating and providing
development opportunities for all Union staff members, including
full-time positions and student staff members.
- Promote student engagement and support holistic student
- Develop and manage budgets for the Union programs, services and
facilities in a fiscally sound and efficient manner, consistent
with University priorities and practices
- Manages Union budgets and provides accountability by reviewing
monthly financial statements and approving department
- Prepares and administers contracts for preventative
maintenance, amusement games, automated teller machines, etc. In
conjunction with Contract Services.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed
professional reading, professional contact with colleagues,
attending professional conferences and other mediums that will
continue professional development.
- Promotes awareness and involvement through a comprehensive
marketing plan which responds to changing media platforms.
- Liaison with Chartwells Dining Services which operates a
complete line of food services in the Union and the adjacent
- Directs a variety of services, programs and activities for the
- Continual assessment of programs and services and
implementation of appropriate changes in response to findings.
- Provides leadership opportunities for students in finance,
budgeting, marketing and programming.
- Assists in managing the largest classroom building on
campus located next to the Union.
- Contributes to an effective unit by completing special projects
and performing other duties assigned by the Associate Vice
President for Finance & Operations.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related area, or
equivalency; eight years of progressively more responsible
management experience; and demonstrated leadership, human relations
and effective communications skills required.
Department Preferred Minimum
- Master’s degree in Educational Leadership, Business,
Communication or related area, or equivalency; eight years of
progressively more responsible management experience including at
least five years administrative experience at a college or
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational management,
facilities management, personnel management, operating procedures,
budget administration, effective communications skills and event
- Strong commitment to student co-curricular education and
social justice practices.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop, negotiate, and manage
all business leases, contracts and memorandum of understanding with
campus partners, the University, vendors and outside
- Experience advising, developing, and mentoring students, and
the demonstrated ability to maintain working relationships with
faculty, University administration, students, and the surrounding
- Leadership skills and supervisory experience with professional
- Ability and interest in working with many diverse
departments and supporting their efforts is a new facility.
- Ability to prepare and administer a large budget.
PREFERENCES: PhD preferred
TO APPLY, VISIT: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/120988
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in
the application process will be provided to individuals with
disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and
Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365
(V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation.
The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.