The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Office of the
Controller is seeking a Manager, Disbursements to oversee the
University's disbursement activities.
UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to
eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package
starting with 22 accrued vacation days, 14 floating and observed
holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health
insurance and retirement options; professional learning and
development opportunities; flexible schedules and teleworking
options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents
at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty,
staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions
for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human
- Manage a team of disbursements specialists that process all
invoice payments through the State of Maryland General Accounting
Division (GAD) and the general working fund.
- Manage daily disbursement activities and ensure documentation
of work performed, timely and accurate payment of invoices; make
suggestions for improvement in a clear, accurate, and technically
- Review system data to ensure received transactions are fully
processed through the systems.
- Perform complex account analyses to ensure transactions are
recorded properly in the general ledger.
- Understand and troubleshoot the general ledger and payables
sub-ledger accounting of all disbursements transactions within the
UMB financial system and within the state financial system.
- Work with principal investigators, faculty, or staff members to
identify potential ledger discrepancies between financial system
and departmental records.
- Perform accounting functions such as journal entries (i.e.
debit memos), year-end transactions, reconciliations, and other
- Communicate with UMB units and external agencies on matters
related to disbursements and work with the Director and staff
members to resolve issues.
- Follow up with UMB units and external agencies to ensure that
issues are resolved.
- Oversee and approve supplier (i.e. vendor) updates.
- Ensure compliance with applicable Federal, State, University
System of Maryland, and UMB policies and procedures.
- Assist the Director of Disbursements in ensuring tax compliance
related to disbursements and preparing the various filing
- Assist the Director of Disbursements in the development and
implementation of university-wide training programs as needs are
- Keep management informed of work progress and
- Perform such administrative duties as staff supervision,
monitoring and granting leave requests, personnel actions, and
- Define and monitor critical path activities, resolve issues and
escalate complex matters as needed to the appropriate
- Delegate tasks when appropriate.
- Use analytical methods and guidance from the Director to assess
staff productivity and to measure staff performance.
- Cultivate a cohesive working environment to support UMB goals,
objectives, and core values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's in Accounting,
Finance, or Business Administration
Experience: Five (5) years of disbursements
accounting management is required. Experience in a large research
university or government setting and experience with Oracle Cloud
Financials is preferred.
Supervisory Experience: Three (3) years of
direct management involved in recruitment, training, and
professional development of staff.
Other: Designated as an essential employee
who may be required to work on non-business days or outside of
normal hours in orde to ensure the continuity of operations for
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of governmental accounting standards and fund
- Strong leadership skills. Ability to motivate and direct
subordinates. Ability to interact with senior leadership, large
groups of individuals, and working with diverse individuals.
- Accomplishes responsibilities by applying specialized and
theoretical knowledge, principles, and concepts of accounts payable
normally acquired through advanced education or specialized
training. Resolves issues and significant matters on behalf of
management by utilizing independent judgment, discretion,
creativity, and analytical thinking. Contributes to development and
evaluation of goals and objectives. Creates solutions to ensure
legal and policy compliance. May supervise, mentor, or coordinate
work of others (positions that supervise are responsible for
service delivery, quality assurance, and employee performance). May
independently manage or administer programs, processes, projects,
- Applies advanced, expert level knowledge, concepts, principles,
and skills. Substantial latitude in decision-making. Sets goals and
objectives to align with defined strategy. Informs supervisor of
progress. Works on ambiguous matters generally without precedent or
structure and independently develops standardization and protocol.
Makes departures from traditional approaches to develop novel
solutions. Influences strategy, program, policy development, and
best practices. Acts as expert resource to others.
- Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable
requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of
applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate
both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work
cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to
demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values
of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence,
Leadership, and Knowledge.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race,
color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran
status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or
policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the
Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a
disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during
any part of the employment process, please submit a https://umbforms.wufoo.com/forms/umb-job-applicant-accommodation-request/"
target="_blank">UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may
also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only
inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation
will be responded to from this email address.