Career Opportunity Number
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Initial Screen Date:
. Bachelor’s degree.
· Two (2) years full-time, directly related work experience
· Minimum Education Qualification can be substituted with an
equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to
successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Experience in assisting individuals with postsecondary
- Experience in assisting individuals with federal financial aid
processes including: FAFSA completion, verification requirements,
eligibility criteria and defaulted student loan resolution.
- Experience conducting presentations to large diversified
- Experience working cooperatively with multiple constituents
including: faculty, staff, students, community organizations and
agencies to establish referrals and collaborations.
- Knowledge of postsecondary educational processes, including
program and course requirements and developmental advising.
- Knowledge of student development, decision making and the ability
to teach students how to make informed transfer decisions.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to deal with change and ambiguity and to constantly
update and organize new information.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with
individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to organize and maintain web-based advising information
- Ability to handle confidential matters judiciously and knowledge
of FERPA .
- Effective computer skills, including the ability to use database
software to access and input information.
- Effective presentation skills, including the ability to use
technology in making group presentations.
- Knowledge of general office procedures and office filing
- Knowledge of conflict resolution and the ability to work well in
a variety of fast-passed, stressful situations.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have an acceptable
driving record prior to driving on district business.
- Normally scheduled Monday through Friday; however, may be
required to work some evenings and/or weekends.
The annual salary is $48,956. A competitive benefit package is
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Limited duration position to end no later that August 31, 2022,
but may be extended based upon funding
Incumbents assist students with academic programs which include
enrollment processes, course offerings, fees, course selection,
test scores, financial aid eligibility and options, and other
resources that will help students meet their educational and
Typical Essential Duties
Identify and evaluate students’ needs, including collaboration with
students to set educational objectives, exploration of career
opportunities and job-related information while evaluating ongoing
- Serve as a source of knowledge and information regarding
postsecondary educational and financial aid opportunities.
- Attendance and participation at state, regional and national
conferences, workshops, committees and seminars to better
understand and maintain a working knowledge of educational
programs, policies, requirements, student services, advising and
the building of a professional network.
- Promote student retention through an understanding of students’
areas of interest, college resources, scholarship opportunities and
difficult financial and personal issues surrounding students’
- Continue training to master new enrollment, communications and
information management software.
- Knowledge of the A+ program and understanding of eligibility
- Awareness of and referral to institutional and community student
- Represent the Educational Opportunity Center at events promoting
a positive image of MCC and EOC .
- Responsible for contact with outside agencies, especially those
working with targeted area population, requiring effective
communications with the specified agencies to meet students’
- Often responsible for first contact for potential students,
parents and the public and diffusing possible volatile
- Serve as a resource for developing strategies to create and
market effective enrollment opportunities for new and returning
- Participation in campus, district-wide and inter-institutional
committees in order to improve services, open avenues of
communication and to promote educational opportunities.
· Knowledge of academic program requirements;
· Knowledge of customer service principles;
. Knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules,
regulations, codes, and/or statutes;
· Knowledge of workshop and program principles and
· Knowledge of presentation principles and practices;
· Knowledge of diverse populations and cultures
. Knowledge of computers and related software applications.
. Skilled in advising students on applicable policies and
. Skilled in interpreting academic program requirements
. Skilled in reviewing and processing paperwork, forms, and/or
other related items
. Skilled in developing and implementing programs and
. Skilled in maintaining confidentiality;
. Skilled in resolving conflicts;
. Skilled in using a computer and related software
. Skilled in providing customer service;
. Skilled in utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as
applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general
public, and others sufficient to exchange or convey
Positions in this class typically require: feeling, grasping,
hearing, fingering, reaching, repetitive motion, standing, talking,
visual acuity, and walking. The work is light work which requires
exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10
pounds of force to move objects
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- * What is the highest level of education you have as conferred
through an official transcript?
- Have not completed High School/GED
- High School/GED
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- Doctorate degree
- * Do you have two (2) years full-time, directly related work
- Less than one (1)
- Two years
- * How did you learn about this position?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Dos Mundos
- Employee referral
- Inside Higher Ed
- Kansas City Call
- Kansas City Globe
- Kansas City Hispanic News
- MCC Website
- Other Source
- Cover Letter
- Transcript 01
- Curriculum Vitae