We are looking for someone who loves to design, develop and
modify applications, is interested in new and interesting
challenges, and desires for an engaging experience with our
thriving university community for an Application Software Developer
position. Is this you?
Miami University offers an engaging work environment at a
premier higher education institution with an exceptional benefits
package plus many other support resources to help employees balance
their professional and personal lives.
As a member of the Miami team, you will be a part of our efforts to
pursue the best solutions for the University.
Our diverse team members actively design, develop, modify and
support application software systems by:
• Gathering, documenting, and analyzing user needs and design
requirements, developing application specifications, and
determining system performance standards.
• Participating in diverse projects that analyze user needs and
software requirements to determine the feasibility of design within
time and cost constraints using agile techniques.
• Developing software systems including appropriate design and use
of error handling, logging, and monitoring.
• Creating, executing, and automating multiple levels of test plans
for software maintenance.
• Executing third-party software implementations and integrations
with a focus on using APIs and code reuse.
• Working with our clients to learn and understand business
processes and responsibilities and suggest solutions to
• Identifying roadblocks and generating ideas for improvement;
using agile methods like the Scrum framework and pair
• As a member of our team, you will have great opportunities to
grow technically and professionally through annual training.
Require a Bachelor's degree in computer science, information
technology, or a related field earned by date of hire. No relevant
work experience is required. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, a
lawful permanent resident, admitted for residence as an applicant
under the 1986 immigration amnesty law, refugee asylee.
As the Application Software Developer I reporting to our
Application Development Team Manager, we are looking for
individuals with potential and some knowledge of and can work under
• Developing applications that use single-sign-on and
authentication systems (LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth,
• Developing applications in PHP (Laravel), Python, Node JS, or
similar languages, using object-oriented programming.
• Using source code management systems (Git, SVN, etc.) and
Continuous Integration / Continuous deployment (CI/CD)
• Developing secure applications (SQL injection, cross-site
• Improving the quality of applications by using various testing
options, which could include unit, feature, stress/load testing and
documenting test plans, cases, and results.
• Developing against Higher Ed ERP systems (Ellucian’s Banner
suite), Learning Management systems (Canvas), and web portal
systems (LifeRay) or similar applications.
• Developing applications using relational database management
systems and SQL.
• Working with Linux and Windows OS and a basic understanding of
• Testing web applications for accessibility (ADA)
• Deploying software in a cloud-based infrastructure (AWS, Azure,
EO/AA Statement/Clery Act:
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer,
encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans
and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits
harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40
years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression,
genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry),
pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster
parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its
application and admission processes, educational programs and
activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests
for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to
employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@miamioh.edu or
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and
safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to
read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report
which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics,
and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to
prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and
alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This
report also contains information on programs and policies designed
to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating
violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this
website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students.
Written notification is also provided to prospective students and
employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety
Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department
at (513) 529-2223.