Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville
actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in fields
and have a passion for teaching. Adjunct faculty are an integral
part of the University’s learning community and courses on
The College of Arts and Sciences is accepting applications for an
academically qualified adjunct faculty member to teach different
Actuarial Science courses including:
ACSC 305 - Insurance and Risk
This course introduces the students to the fundamental principles
of insurance and risk. Students receive a thorough introduction to
risk concepts, as well as life, health, property and casualty
insurance, and retirement plans. The course provides basic
information for the upper level actuarial science courses.
ACSC 416 - Corporate Finance I
This course introduces
the student to the theory and practice of Corporate Finance. Topics
include definitions of key financing terms and concepts; dividend
policy; impact of financing policies on capital structure;
characteristics and definitions of key financing instruments;
structure and financing of a stock company; calculation of stock
values; and measures and assessment of financial performance.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Teach assigned course as specified in the schedule and course
• Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the
University’s mission, academic policies and procedures,
• expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes,
teaching methodology, and assignments and deadlines.
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively
deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world
applications of concepts covered.
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class
assignments, group projects, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough
manner (within 24-36 hrs.).
• Establish digital office hours to provide additional assistance
with student questions/concerns.
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Master's degree in Actuarial Science or related field from a
regionally accredited institution.
• Student-centered approach and passion for teaching and mentoring
a diverse student population.
• Associateship of Fellowship of Society of Actuaries
• Experience in actuarial related work
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of
a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment
authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity
and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability,
gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin,
race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or
any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of
the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring,
training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and
Advertised: June 08, 2022