St. Lawrence University invites applications for a Counselor
position. The Counselor serves as a member of the Health and
Counseling Center team providing services to the students at St.
Lawrence University. This position is on-site and provides
in-person services in an integrated health and counseling
center. Counselors by rotation provide after hours, on-call
This ten-month position is guaranteed full-time for the first year
and part-time, thereafter. Though, our plans are that the position
remain full-time after the first year and moving forward, dependent
upon available funding. This position requires some evening and
Essential Job Duties and
Responsibilities: (Additional duties may be
- Provide direct services to students, including individual
therapy, group therapy, crisis assessment and intervention, and
- Offer consultation services to students, faculty, staff, and
parents in a professional, confidential manner.
- Provide after hours, on-call crisis assessment and
intervention, as scheduled. This may involve working
collaboratively with other departments and local agencies.
- Maintain a strong commitment to workplace honesty, integrity,
confidentiality, direct communication, teamwork, collaboration, and
- Work collaboratively with a diverse population of students,
faculty, staff, administrators, and other members of the
- Work cooperatively on interdisciplinary teams, take initiative,
and be flexible in response to the developing demands and
challenges of this position.
- Responsible for maintaining clinical records in accordance
with SLU policy and NY state and federal
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Counseling
Center Director and Vice President of Student Life.
- Masters or doctoral degree in social work, psychology,
counseling, or related field.
- Licensure to practice social work, psychology, or mental health
counseling, in the state of New York.
- Knowledge and skills in short-term, solution focused individual
and group counseling, consultation, and outreach.
- Strong work ethic and interpersonal skills.
- Strong commitment to workplace honesty, integrity,
confidentiality, direct communication, teamwork, collaboration,
professional ethics, and meeting the demands and challenges of the
- Suicide assessment training and strong crisis intervention
- A strong commitment to cultural competence and diversity.
- Ability to work on-call hours.
- Ability to be flexible and meet the demands of high peak
periods of utilization.
- Experience working in a college counseling center.
- A strong commitment to the mission of St. Lawrence University
and counseling center goals.
- Commitment to continuing education in the counseling
- Experience working collaboratively with a diverse population of
students, faculty, staff, administrators, and other members of the
- Training in specialized counseling techniques such as DBT,
Mindfulness, EMDR, and other evidence-based
Interested applicants must apply online at http://employment.stlawu.edu
uploading all required materials which are defined in the “special
instructions to applicant” section. Review
of applications will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled. Questions about the position may be directed to
Kira Royce, Associate Director of Counseling Services (email@example.com).
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist
successfully passing a background (including criminal records)
Located at 23 Romoda Drive, Canton, NY, St. Lawrence University
is a coeducational, private, independent liberal arts institution
of about 2,400 students from more than 40 states and 40 nations.
The educational opportunities at St. Lawrence inspire students and
prepare them to be critical and creative thinkers, to find a
compass for their lives and careers, and to pursue knowledge and
understanding for the benefit of themselves, humanity, and the
planet. Through its focus on active engagement with ideas in and
beyond the classroom, a St. Lawrence education leads students to
make connections that transform lives and communities, from the
local to the global.
The University is committed to and seeks diversity among its
faculty, staff, and students. Such a commitment ensures an
atmosphere that is diverse and complex in ways that are
intellectually and socially enriching for the entire campus
community. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups,
as well as from individuals with experience teaching or working in
a multicultural environment, are encouraged. St. Lawrence
University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit