As the Residence Life Operations & Communications Coordinator,
you will join a team that supports the unique needs of diverse art
and design students by creating a safe, caring, and inclusive
This position provides students and families with accurate and
timely residence life information. The Department Operations and
Communication Coordinator works to ensure that Residence Life
Housing Operations are designed, built, well-communicated and
understood by students, families, and other end users. This role is
responsible for the staffing and operation of the central office
front desk, and ensures a positive student and parent experience
for those visiting, calling, or emailing the office with questions
or concerns. Through the development of a robust student staff and
scheduling implementation, the Department Operations and
Communication Coordinator provides full in-person front desk
coverage during regular business hours.
We seek a culturally competent candidate who will thrive in a
campus environment that is committed to advancing the principles of
social equity and inclusion, environmental and climate justice, and
equal access to resources and opportunities.
Oversee Central Office Functions:
Department Communication Functions:
- Responsible for the Residence Life Office front desk operation.
Provide hiring, training, and supervision for the student office
assistants serving as the initial point of contact for incoming
student and parent requests.
- Create a staffing model which ensures full-time coverage of the
- Through training, ensure that student staff can accurately
respond to and answer a wide variety of routine and non-routine
telephone calls, emails, and in-person visits in accordance with
departmental policies and procedures.
- Ensure that student staff treat confidential information with
sensitivity, escalate more complex issues appropriately, and that
each individual is treated respectfully. Ensure that the Residence
Life Office is maintained in a condition that reflects
professionalism for those visiting, and allows for
cross-departmental use of the conference room, technology suite,
and restroom facilities.
- Responsible for department functions including procuring office
supplies, processing payments and receivables, and facilitating
logistical use and set-up of office/conference room.
Operational Procedures and Processes:
- Ensure that emails, phone calls, and voicemails sent to the
central office are answered in a timely and thorough manner.
- Prepare and implement comprehensive communication and marketing
materials for Housing processes (e.g. housing selection, opening,
- Communicate Fire Alarm drills and testing, facilities-related
shutdown notices, and periodic mass communications to on-campus
students using StarRez.
- Create and disseminate google forms, track responses, highlight
trends and respond to needs.
- Review and coordinate website and portal updates as necessary
to improve student experience and communication flow.
- Responsible for the coordination of Residence Life processes
involving non-RISD partners and external vendors. Examples include
coordinating access for student laundry services, coordinating with
the U.S. Census Bureau, etc.
- Provide means for off-campus students to stay connected to RISD
while living outside of traditional on-campus housing
- Through Starcare training, gain a good understanding of Starrez
Web and Portal X functions and reporting.
- Coordinate the opening and closing of Residence Halls with
staffing support provided by the Residential Education team.
- Oversee the planning and design of housing forms and processes.
Actively engage with the Assistant Director for Housing Operations
to ensure the Housing Management System can support these
processes, including Medical Accommodation, LOA/Readmit, and
- Maintain communication with Card Services to ensure student
access privileges are up to date. Monitor key and access card
processes and procedures with a high degree of accuracy to provide
accountability. Conduct periodic inventories and order replacements
as needed. Monitor key control compliance and implement lost key
billing as appropriate. Coordinate with Residential Education team
regarding card access during room changes and for temporary access
- Help ensure preparedness for new arrivals by maintaining record
of room condition for vacant rooms to allow for regular and
emergency room changes throughout the year.
- Coordinate temp and permanent card access privileges for
Residence Life staff and vendors.
- Associates degree or equivalent combination of education and/or
- Minimum two years administrative experience, preferably in
- Must have experience maintaining data and creating reports.
Must possess strong computer skills, be proficient with MS Office
(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and have experience working with
database systems. WorkDay, Colleague and/or StarRez experience
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills with the
ability to communicate effectively and project a professional image
in person, and in writing.
- Ability to clearly and patiently articulate policies,
procedures and practices to colleagues, students, and
- With an understanding of policies and practices, creatively
solve issues and challenges and explores opportunities for
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure; take
initiative and prioritize tasks; problem solve; work both
independently and as part of a team.
- Display exceptional customer service skills; maintain and
exercise sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential
information; demonstrate cultural sensitivity and work effectively
with multiple diverse populations; communicate effectively with
individuals with a limited understanding of English.
- Must demonstrate strong analytical and excel skills. Must
possess the ability to critically examine basic financial records
to ensure consistency, accuracy and completeness.
35 hours/week; 12 months/year
Documents Needed to Apply:
Cover Letter (required)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload
all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our
pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its
learning community and integral to an art and design education. We
welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute
to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by
For internal use only - Job Family:
Administrative Support Services