The Department of Modern Languages and Cultures (MLC) at the
Virginia Military Institute invites applications for a part-time
hourly Arabic language instructor to work Monday through Friday on
a schedule to be determined by the MLC Department Head. The
position also requires the ability to develop multimedia
instructional materials, exercises, and class modules to support
language learning/training. The position is in funded by and in
direct support of Project Global Officer (Project GO), a Defense
Language and National Security Education Office grant. This
position is not to exceed 1500 hours per year and does not include
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Primary duties include serving as an Arabic language tutor;
however, incumbent may be asked to assist in teaching lower
division Arabic language classes (i.e., 100 & 200 level)
providing s/he has the appropriate degree level and language
proficiency (see preferred qualifications).
- Work with cadets on both group and individual basis to help
remediate, sustain, and advance their Arabic language skills.
- Work with cadets to improve their spoken, listening, reading
and written Arabic language skills.
- Coordinate with the MLC Department Head to establish and
publish hours of availability for language instruction and
- Balance office hours between language instruction/training and
development of Arabic multimedia instructional materials,
exercises, and class modules.
- Work in coordination with principal Arabic language instructors
to develop multimedia instructional materials, exercises, and class
modules to support language remediation, sustainment, and
advancement of Arabic language skills. These modules will be posted
to VMI’s online course management tool: Canvas.
- Develop aforementioned class modules in accordance with a
timeline developed by the Project GO Principal Program Director and
the MLC Department Head.
- Arrive on time for individual and group language training
sessions and keep appointments and sessions on schedule, stay
alert, minimize distractions from scheduled
- Communicate effectively with cadets by establishing positive
rapport and by keeping a professional, patient, and engaged
- Be familiar with the VMI Honor Code, and never do a cadet’s
work for him or her or render a cadet improper academic
- Other duties as assigned in support of Project GO.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- A minimum Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) 3 level of
proficiency (Professional Working Proficiency) in the Arabic
language. This equates to Superior level on the American
Council on the Teaching of Foreign
Languages (ACTFL) scale.
- Knowledge, skills and abilities in multiple learning
technologies (hardware & software) such as Microsoft, Adobe,
Canvas and other internet (mobile) applications related to
- Knowledge, skills and abilities related to theories, principles
and best practices for developing and maintaining online
(accessible) instructional materials.
- A Masters degree or higher in a field involving the Arabic
- An ILR 5 (Native or Bilingual) level of proficiency in the
- An educational background – or related work experience – in
curriculum and/or courseware development
Candidates, please complete an online application at: https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/245481
Hourly wage will be determined by qualifications and
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. This
position is grant based and will remain available each year the
grant is renewed.
Please include a cover letter, and the names and contact
information for 3 professional references.
Criminal background check required for selected candidate.
All VMI Employees are required to complete a COVID-19
Vaccination Status Form upon hire per Governor Northam’s Executive
Directive #18. The Human Resources Office will provide the
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate
against anyone because of race, color, religion, national origin,
political affiliation, sex, age, or disability. AmeriCorps, Peace
Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to
apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified
individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and
equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational
opportunities, programs and services.