Northeastern Illinois University
Northeastern Illinois University, located in Chicago, Illinois,
invites applications for the position of
Under the direction of the Executive Director for Finance and
Administration, the Controller is responsible for the income and
expense of funds for the University; exercises management
responsibility over General Accounting, Grants and Contracts
Accounting, Accounts Payable and State and Federal Tax reporting;
maintains current knowledge of GASB, FASB, and other GAAP
pronouncements that affect the University's financial systems, and
best practices in internal controls over financial reporting; and
implements policies and procedures to provide accurate and complete
financial data for the University.
- Develop and implement accounting systems, policies, procedures
and internal control for effective and efficient operations and
which assure University compliance with applicable laws, rules and
regulations relating to fiscal matters. Implement automation
- Oversee the activities of the General and Grant Accounting
Departments for timely and accurate maintenance of the general
ledger and financial management reporting, including monthly,
quarterly and annual financial statements and reports.
- Provide consultation, leadership and support to senior
administrators and unit leaders on University-related accounting,
compliance and fiscal control issues.
- Provide critical support on strategic matters with significant
accounting and reporting implications to the University, such as in
the area of construction, new operations and other emerging
- Manage the University’s external audit and financial reporting
process by ensuring that proper accounting methodology, techniques
and policies are adopted in University operations. Act as the
administrative contact point for the independent auditor's
examinations and coordinating the audits for the University.
- Provide all financial statements, management's discussion and
analysis and footnotes for the annual report, supplemental
statements, bond fund reports and compliance program financial
- Implement policies and procedures for the proper fiscal
administration of grants and contracts and assure compliance with
the requirements of various granting agencies.
- Establish and implement appropriate goals and objectives for
the financial staff, departmental operations, including budgets,
staffing, training and evaluation, and internal and external
- Manage university cash flow based upon established investment
policies, serving as a primary liaison with the banking
- Assure University compliance with bond covenants, make required
transfers and payments, maintains records for arbitrage reporting,
and provide internal and external agency bond-issue reports as
- Oversee the activities of the Accounts Payable Department
issuing timely and accurate payments to vendors providing goods and
services to the University.
- Remit payroll deductions to appropriate federal, state and
other agencies as well as the filing of required governmental
reports by the appropriate deadlines.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree in Finance or Accounting from an accredited
four-year college or university and CPA required.
- MBA in Finance or Accounting preferred.
- Minimum of ten years progressive experience in financial
management, preferably in higher education, to include experience
with financial planning, financial reporting, financial analysis,
forecasting, audit and budget.
- Experience with Banner, PeopleSoft, Oracle, Cognos or similar
systems for university financial accounting and ledger
applications. Demonstrated leadership experience and ability.
About Northeastern Illinois University
Northeastern Illinois University's Main Campus is located on 67
acres in an attractive residential area on the Northwest Side of
Chicago. The University offers more than 40 undergraduate degree
and certificate programs and more than 50 graduate degree,
certificate, licensure and endorsement programs. The University is
a federally designated Hispanic-Serving Institution. It has
additional locations in the metropolitan area, including the Jacob
H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies, El Centro, Center for
College Access and Success, and the University Center of Lake
Deadline: Review of applications begins
immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Applicants are expected to respond based upon the entire job
description. Email a letter of interest addressing your
qualifications for this position and a Current Curriculum Vitae
Michael Wenz, Executive Director of Budgets
Northeastern Illinois University is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer and invites applications
from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities, as
well as other qualified individuals. Northeastern Illinois
University's positions are contingent upon the University's receipt
of its State of Illinois appropriations.