Community College of Philadelphia
The Department of Computer Technologies at the Community College of
Philadelphia invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track
position in Computer Information Systems for the 2022-2023 academic
year, primarily teaching Web and Mobile App Development. This is an
on-campus teaching position, located in Philadelphia, PA.
The Computer Technologies Department includes various degrees and
certificates in Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Information
Systems, and Network Administration. The department strives to meet
the needs of all students interested in obtaining an education in
these areas and is focused on preparing diverse cohorts of IT
specialists, software developers, and computer scientists for
successful careers. Many of our students move directly into new
jobs or progress in their current career paths, while others
transfer to some of the best computing programs in the Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission,
associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to
higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in
the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic
academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer,
employment, and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia
by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens,
active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled
to meet the changing needs of business, industry, and the
professions. To help address broad economic, cultural, and
political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws
together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and
seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve
• Teach computing courses that may include foundational computer
programming, Web page development, server-side programming, Android
applications development, Apple applications development, and the
College's computer applications course.
• Help community college students further develop their computing
skills, professional attitude, and behaviors for college and
• Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and
perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes,
using each course's standard course outline as a guide.
• Develop course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, hands-on
activities, and presentations.
• Work with other faculty and administrators in developing program
curriculum, standards, and policies, including reviewing and
participating in textbook selection process where
• Be available to students via email, phone, or personal
conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should
be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the
course syllabus each semester.
• Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance
with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established
• Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as
office hours and meetings at the designated times.
• Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical
advances that promote student learning, including learning and
using Publisher's software when applicable.
• Develop and maintain working relationships with computing
professionals in the local computing industry and workforce.
• Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring
committees, or as a student organization advisor.
• Demonstrate a sense of commitment to the College's mission,
vision, and values.
• Actively participate in the academic life of the College,
including participation in graduation, recruitment events, general
assemblies, student life activities, and other cross-functional
• Create learning opportunities for students inside and outside the
classroom, including opportunities to teach dual-enrollment high
• Communicate effectively.
• Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and
• Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom.
• Demonstrate an understanding of and sensitivity to the College's
faculty, staff, and students' diverse academic, socioeconomic,
cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
• Participate in continual assessment and course updates to ensure
excellence in meeting program and student learning outcomes.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in
one's field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage
student success and retention.
• Utilize innovative teaching strategies and technologies for
online learning and other technology tools to meet the learning
needs of a diverse student population.
• Maintain office hours to meet with students outside of the
classroom and respond to questions or concerns.
• Commit to professional learning and growth, student mentoring,
and service to the profession.
• Remain current in the use of technology, developments within the
field of discipline, and developments related to teaching and
• An earned master's or doctoral degree in computer information
systems, or a closely related field, such as computer science, or
• At least one year of experience teaching software development at
the college level.
• Must demonstrate the ability to communicate in a classroom.
• Mastery of Web page development, server-side programming, and
mobile applications development.
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication
• Willingness to revise and update courses.
• At least three years of teaching experience at the community
college level or higher.
• Mastery of most of the following programming languages: Python,
• Mastery of commonly used computer and mobile device operating
• Knowledge and/or willingness to develop and teach distance
education and web enhanced courses.
• A flexible schedule is desirable, i.e. to teach classes in the
day, evening, at the main campus, and/or at Regional Centers.
• Active participation in industry related professional development
activities, meetings, and/or conferences.
• Prior experience using a Learning Management System, such as
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Name and contact information for three (3) references
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of
background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child
Protective Services Law.
• Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. Community College of
Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal
access employer. The College encourages applications from
individuals from traditionally under-represented groups.
Salary Grade or Rank
Rank 5 or Rank 6