Director for Learning Abroad at the University of
The University of Utah and the Office of Global Engagement (OGE)
seek an energetic, ambitious, entrepreneurial, and visionary leader
to head the university’s Learning Abroad Office. The Director for
Learning Abroad will be a pivotal thought leader for global
education at one of the nation’s premier public flagship
universities. This is an exciting and highly unique opportunity for
a strategic thinker to reimagine, implement, and grow programs that
are an integral part of a University of Utah education.
This position, reporting to the Associate Chief Global Officer,
is responsible for providing leadership for the Learning Abroad
Office with a team of nine staff members and serving on the
leadership team for OGE. The Director for Learning Abroad serves as
the campus advocate and ambassador for academic programs abroad. In
this role, the incumbent ensures that the office applies national
standards, best practices, and innovative ideas in developing
programs of excellence, providing the highest standard of support
services to students and faculty, increasing access for students
from all backgrounds to participate in learning abroad, and
facilitating collaboration with academic and student support units
- Works closely with members of the academic community to
promote, develop, and improve learning abroad programs and
- Oversees policy development and liaises with other University
offices in student and academic affairs. Ensures that policies are
consistent with best practices in the field and University
- Ensures that students and partners have confidence in the
Learning Abroad team’s expertise and understand processes and
- Works closely with Colleges and Departments to promote learning
abroad, the Office for Global Engagement, and the University’s
- Builds and maintains relationships to advance learning abroad
programming and establish resources and partnerships
that advance the Office for Global Engagement’s mission.
- Provides stakeholders with the tools and knowledge necessary
for successful learning abroad experiences which students will be
able to integrate into personal, professional, and academic
- Develops a strong understanding of University resources and
provides referrals to other offices and individuals when
- Clearly and transparently communicates with all stakeholders in
a timely manner.
- Ensures preparation and maintenance of applicant/student
records in accordance with University and Office
- Supervises office personnel, sets expectations, and evaluates
the performance of team members, and ensures team members have
access to appropriate professional development opportunities.
- Oversees reporting for external entities, accreditation, grant
proposals, and departmental requests.
- Manages office budget, forecasts revenues and expenditures,
sets pricing for services, and negotiates contracts and
- Develops new resources and revenue for Learning Abroad in
collaboration with the development officer in the Office for Global
- Provides support for emergency response protocols in
collaboration with the Director for Global Risk Management.
- Leads and coordinates curriculum integration efforts across all
colleges in collaboration with the Learning Abroad team and Office
for Global Engagement.
- Serves as office liaison with University Counsel regarding
legal issues, contracts, mitigating liability, and monitoring the
legal environment with respect to learning abroad programming.
The ideal candidate should possess a combination of the
- Advanced degree and a minimum of five years of progressively
responsible managerial experience in international higher
- A successful track record of leading teams to develop a
strategy to achieve a set of identified goals.
- In-depth understanding of the scholarship and practice of
- Experience with a variety of international program and
- Knowledge of best practices in education abroad programming,
related support services for students and faculty, marketing
education abroad to students, program assessment, and
administrative processes to streamline services.
- Commitment to enriching the quality and diversity of learning
abroad experiences and making these experiences accessible to all
- Proven ability to collaborate successfully with a wide range of
- Experience in a large research university or comparable
- Experience in leading, managing and developing professional
- Experience in program development, international operations and
- Proven ability to interact effectively with students, parents,
faculty, learning abroad program providers, and oversees
- Solid analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving
- Experience with Terra Dotta and other technology in education
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal and intercultural
- Experience living, working, or studying abroad and at least
basic proficiency in a language other than English.
OGE is a comprehensive international education office reporting
to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. The office
serves as the University of Utah's hub for global programs and
connects, informs, and supports the university's international
initiatives. OGE comprises 55 staff members, including six
directors, and is home to:
- International Student and Scholar Services -
providing support services for the university's international
students and scholars and maintaining compliance with immigration
- Learning Abroad - providing promotion of
opportunities, advising, and support for students to participate in
international academic experiences abroad and support for faculty
to lead programs abroad.
- Global Learning Initiatives - providing
professional development, funding, and advising for faculty to
integrate global learning in the curriculum via the development of
global and intercultural learning outcomes and an assessment
- Global Campuses - providing oversight for the
University of Utah Asia Campus in South Korea and coordinating
international recruiting programs with undergraduate studies and
- Global Risk Management - providing support
services to faculty and students addressing the health and safety
risks associated with international travel.
- Global Programs - promoting the development of
revenue-generating customized training programs for international
students, educators, and professionals with a focus on the academic
strengths of the University of Utah and the expansion of
cross-cultural relationships for the university.
The University of Utah is the state's flagship institution of
higher education, with 18 schools and colleges, more than 100
undergraduate and 90 graduate degree programs, and an enrollment of
more than 32,000 students. In 2019, the university joined the
Association of American Universities, an invitation-only,
prestigious group of 65 leading research institutions marked by
excellence in academic expertise and research impact, student
success, and securing resources in support of core missions.
A key mission of the university is to build an inclusive
community that fosters a sense of belonging and well-being in which
every student can thrive. The university is committed to removing
barriers that have been traditionally encountered by individuals
from underrepresented groups; strives to recruit faculty and staff
who will further enhance our diversity; and makes every attempt to
support their success while they are here.
The main campus is located in Salt Lake City, a vibrant
metropolitan area with a diverse population, offering exciting
urban and cultural experiences as well as access to spectacular
outdoor recreation. Combined with the region’s strong economy and
dynamic growth, Salt Lake City offers a high quality of life.
To Apply for the Position:
To apply, please access the University of Utah application
(PRN27683B) where you submit your CV/resume, a letter of
application detailing how you meet the qualifications for the
position, and the contact information for three professional
references. Applications should be submitted by October 17,
2021. For questions regarding the position, contact: Sovanna
Behrmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
(please do not send the application documents to this email
address, but apply via the University of Utah job application