Director of Employee and Labor Relations
Job Description Summary
Director of Employee and Labor
Montgomery College (Maryland) invites applications for the Director
of Employee and Labor Relations position.
Montgomery College’s Office of Human Resources and Strategic Talent
Management has an unique opportunity for the Director of Employee
and Labor Relations to provide strategic direction and leadership
to ensure the appropriate alignment of Montgomery College’s
employee and labor relations initiatives, programs, and processes
with the College’s mission, strategic goals and objectives. The
incumbent will design, develop, and administer programming services
that proactively address employee-related issues and concerns using
a variety of strategies and interventions ranging from large-scale
organizational initiatives to individual consultation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a member of the Office of Human Resources and
Strategic Talent Management leadership team.
- Leads and supervises a team of five employees.
- Provides guidance and direction to leaders, supervisors, and
employees in an effort to facilitate positive working relationships
and minimize potential issues, conflicts, and/or grievances.
- Provides guidance and direction on the development and
administration of human resources policies, performance management,
and employee disciplinary matters. .
- Develops and implements comprehensive strategies to proactively
address employee relations issues
- Advises and provides guidance to senior leadership on all labor
relations matters, including philosophy, strategy, interpretation
of collective bargaining agreements, and actions.
- Develops and fosters collaborative and progressive
labor-management relations with recognized employee collective
bargaining units (unions).
- Lead and coordinate negotiations for three (3) collective
bargaining agreements, working in collaboration and consultation
with internal and external legal counsel.
- Manages the administration and interpretation of labor
contracts, providing guidance and direction to supervisors.
- Administer and manage the College’s employee discrimination
complaint investigation process, mediation, adjudication, and
- Proactively collaborates as a strategic partner with the
organizational development and training units in developing and
implementing mentoring, coaching, training initiatives, and other
interventions in an effort to reduce conflicts, potential complains
and/or grievances and to educate and enhance the competencies and
skills leaders, supervisors, and employees
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Management or a Bachelor’s
degree and equivalent combination of training and experience
equivalent to a Master’s Degree that demonstrates the ability to
perform the essential functions of the job.
- Seven years of experience in employee relations, including
collective bargaining field, including three years of progressively
responsible managerial experience at the department level, or
equivalent administrative experience.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the
United States and not require an employer visa sponsorship.
Additional Job Information:
Initial salary placement $118,834 to $163,384, commensurate
with education and experience.
For questions, please contact Maria Bedenbaugh, HR
Specialist, at: Maria.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Juris Doctorate degree with specification in employment and
Labor Law discipline.
- Experience working within a higher education setting
- SPHR Certification
Montgomery College is a welcoming community college committed to
our values of diversity, equity, and inclusion; academic rigor and
excellence; and to developing the talented workforce for a thriving
Montgomery County. Together, our community strives to create and
maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive,
equitable and welcoming.
We invite applications from individuals who want to join us in our
mission to provide an exceptional educational experience and foster
academic and economic success in a synergistic environment.
Employees of Montgomery College are integral to meeting this
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick leave,
paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits,
professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance,
tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming
including onsite gyms, pools, and classes.
Open Until Filled