Coordinates the clinical placement activities of the
post-licensure FNP programs within the School of Nursing for online
programs. Develops, coordinates, assigns, and maintains practice
site relationships. Program-specific duties will be collaborative
with the appropriate director.
Job Duties and Accountabilities:An Asterisk (*)
denotes an “essential job function” for ADA purposes.
1. Has the primary
responsibility of assuring adequate clinical practice experiences
(sites, personnel, hours) are available and utilized and
communicating effectively with all relevant individuals and groups
regarding clinical courses
- Ensures that all students in the Family Nurse Practitioner
program have the appropriate rotations to fulfill the respective
program requirements and that affiliation agreements are
- Verifies complete accuracy of Clinical Contract Request forms
before submission to the SMU Contract Specialist.
- Assigns FNP students each semester to clinical groups.
- Works with online faculty to monitor hour logging/tracking each
semester for all programs.
- Works with the graduate AA to maintain preceptor files with
updated CVs and precepted hour documentation.
- Confirms student evaluations are completed at the end of each
- Receives and channels phone calls from preceptors and students.
Refers students and preceptors to appropriate administrators,
faculty, and staff.
- Ensures that Canvas is updated with current syllabi, clinical
documents and policies and procedures.
- Insures appropriate clinical requirements are submitted to the
2. Supervises the preceptor
and collaborates with practice mentors in post licensure
- Recruits new preceptors/mentors.
- Ensures currency of clinical contracts.
- Works with the AA to purchase and distribute preceptor
- Tracks hours for ANCC & AANP preceptor
- Sends preceptor thank you cards at the end of each
- Institutes and maintains affiliate faculty status for
- Coordinates scheduling and managing of oral examinations for
students in their final semester.
3. Maintains accuracy and currency of Typhon databases
- Maintains student database. Enters FNP students into the Typhon
- Reviews student databases and ensures that they are up to date
– student profiles, immunizations, health records, other clinical
requirements (BBP, HIPAA, etc), collecting, filing student clinical
paperwork, creation of student photo roster for each class.
- Works with clinical instructors to ensure that the student’s
documents are up to date.
- Provides a Typhon Training Orientation to upcoming 1st Clinical
- Requires occasional travel to Sacramento Regional Learning
Center during the weekend or off hours.
Skills and Abilities:
- Computer experience and ability to use Microsoft Office
programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience with database or statistical programs such as
Access, SPSS, or Filemaker Pro.
- Ability to handle privileged information in a confidential
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and complete work with
attention to detail.
- Demonstrates good judgment and creative thinking to solve daily
- Ability to read and carry out written instructions.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal instructions.
- Interpersonal skills that support optimal public relations for
the School of Nursing.
- Effective navigation of the Internet as a resource and research
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations
- Excellent concentration and attention to details required for
extended periods of time in order to produce reports.
- Communication skills required to quickly organize and
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience in health care
- Experience in contract management
- Progressive experience in providing administrative support for
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity,
equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive
campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an
educational imperative to achieve excellence.