The Governors’ Climate & Forests (GCF) Task Force
encourages applications for a Marketing and Communications Lead
! GCF is a project of the University of Colorado
Law School. The Communications Lead will support the work of the
GCF Task Force both regionally and as a global network through
developing and implementing a communications strategy.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The GCF Task Force is a unique collaboration of 38 states and
provinces in ten primarily tropical forest countries (Brazil,
Colombia, Cote d’Ivoire, Ecuador, Indonesia, Mexico, Nigeria, Peru,
Spain, and the United States), which advances subnational
leadership and jurisdictional approaches to forest protection and
low emissions development. More than one-third of the world’s
tropical forests lie in GCF Task Force member states and
provinces—including all of the legal Brazilian Amazon, more than
three-fourths of Peru’s, and more than half of Indonesia’s tropical
forests (see GCF Taskforce
for more information).
The GCF Task Force’s global Secretariat is housed within the CU Law
School, and led by professors in Law and Environmental Studies.
Five staff members work with the GCF Task Force from Boulder, CO
and four Regional Coordinators serve the GCF Task Force from
Brazil, Peru, Indonesia, and Mexico.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Communications Strategy and Implementation
Website, Social Media, and Video Development
- Coordinate and manage the production of all communications
materials (crafting newsletters, social media posts, OpEds, grants
and reports) through all stages of development (content planning,
writing, editing, production and distribution) and in collaboration
with other Secretariat staff and Regional Coordinators.
- Conduct research and write original content that contributes to
the mission, with strong consideration of all materials emerging
from the regions.
- Implement communications strategies for all regular events
(annual meeting, COP, Climate Week, etc.) in close collaboration
with the Events and Outreach Director.
- Collaborate with Secretariat staff, Regional Coordinators and
contracted communications specialists to develop and implement an
annual network-wide critical communications plan.
- Develop targeted communications strategies for all regular
global GCF Task Force events (annual meeting, COP, Climate Week,
Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities events) in close
collaboration with the Events and Outreach Director and external
consultants as needed.
- Align communications with other outward-facing aspects of the
GCF Task Force, including the GCF Knowledge Database.
Collaboration and Outreach
- Manage the Website, including working with web developers and
Law School IT. Lead on video production, storyboarding and
- Implement social media strategies and build engaging content
for all platforms (Instagram, Facebook and Twitter), crafting
weekly news stories and updates.
What You Should Know
- Connect with Strategic Relations and Communications and campus
communicators to increase the department's profile on campus.
- Lead on media outreach, including developing relationships with
media point people, creating press releases for target media and
working with external consultants to strategically place
- Ensure that all communications activities and products are of
the highest quality and consistent with central messaging
priorities and branding standards.
We can offer a hybrid work environment for this position. This
position is funded by a grant from the Norwegian government and
will run through December 2021. We expect this position to continue
into 2022 and beyond.
What We Can Offer
The annual salary range for this position is $60,000 -
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be creative. Be engaged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public
Relations, Journalism, English, Environmental Studies, Political
Science, or similar field. An equivalent combination of education
and experience will substitute on a year for year basis.
- 3 years of relevant professional experience.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Dedication to promoting an inclusive environment that reflects
the broad diversity and backgrounds represented by students, staff,
faculty and community members.
- Knowledge of online content strategy and creation, including
web design platforms and the ability to work in WordPress.
Excellent communication skills including research, writing and
- Knowledge of social media and marketing strategies.
- Strong project and time management skills, as well as
organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to synthesize feedback from many directions with
passion and critical thinking.
- Ability to dive into projects and work independently, crafting
and implementing a plan for what needs to be accomplished and
seeking guidance as needed.
- Ability to assume ownership of projects and ensure they are
completed in a timely fashion.
- Ability to exercises discretion with handling critical
information while maintaining absolute confidentially.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesian is a
- Experience in marketing communications and design of
publications for international distribution.
- Experience utilizing graphic design programs, including Adobe
- Experience utilizing web design platforms or website management
- Experience in the content base of the GCF Task Force, namely
the forest and climate space including science and policy
- Experience communicating with international partners and donors
in the forest and climate space including related scientific
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by September 23, 2021
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: