Dean, Applied Arts, Workforce Education & Training
POSITION TITLE: DEAN, APPLIED ARTS, WORKFORCE EDUCATION &
DEPARTMENT: Workforce Education & Training
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Academic Affairs
PLACEMENT: Administrative, grade S15
MINIMUM PAY RATE: $96,171
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity,
gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an
AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates
who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
The Dean maintains and upholds the College’s values of Respect and
Inclusion, Integrity, Collaboration, Humor and Well-Being,
Innovation, Quality and Sustainability. The Dean supports the Vice
President of Academic Affairs to advance the academic vision and
leadership required to achieve high standards of excellence in
instruction and services with measurable outcomes for faculty,
staff and students as they relate to academic planning,
programming, and assessment. The Dean will incorporate a strategic
and collaborative approach in the development of programs,
instructors, and resource management, while working within budget
parameters. The Dean will oversee all grants in the division to
ensure compliance at all stages. The Dean builds relationships with
internal and external stakeholders through the shared College
vision, mission, and values and meets the needs of employers and
students. This position requires flexibility which may include
occasional evenings and weekends.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Recommend, design, develop, and implement policies, procedures,
and initiatives related to the advancement and improvement of
workforce education, community and corporate education and
training, and courses to promote student success, while following
relevant, local, state, and federal guidelines. Keep the VPAA
apprised of the development, review and recommendations/changes in
courses and programs assigned within the division.
2. Manage all grants in the division to ensure compliance. This
includes seeking new grants, overseeing all grant activity,
developing and submitting grant reports, and ultimate
3. Collaborate with the Grants Office to develop training programs
for the division and to ensure grant compliance.
4. Provide management for the programs’ strategic planning
activities to align with JJC’s Strategic Goals and Strategic
Enrollment Management (SEM) Plan, Educational Plan, Academic
Program Updates (APU), and designated College continuous quality
5. Provide direct supervision to Culinary Arts, Adult Education and
Literacy, Community Education and Customized Training and Workforce
Development staff, classified staff, professional exempt, and/or
student work/work study students. Adhere to faculty contracts,
professional support bargaining agreement/rules, and all federal
(e.g. ACA), state (e.g. SURS) and district rules and regulations
ensuring efficient operations and student success. Address
questions and disputes regarding contracts and instructor workloads
and keep VPAA apprised of concerns.
6. Provide managerial oversight of the Morris Education
7. Manage diversity activities and initiatives as they pertain to
recruitment and retention of instructors and staff within the
Academic Affairs division.
8. Participate in relevant community activities and initiatives;
identify potential partnerships and leverage division- and
campus-specific, district-wide, and external resources.
9. Responsible for ensuring assigned instructors/staff adhere to
acceptable behavior and performance standards. Demonstrate that
assigned instructors/staff have been informed how behavior and
performance will be assessed, receive timely and accurate feedback
regarding performance, and any other observed performance and
behavioral problems are corrected promptly.
10. Oversee the development, coordination and publication of the
course schedules including adding and cancelling of classes.
Monitor deadlines to ensure a holistic schedule of classes to
promote student completion.
11. Facilitate the promotion, marketing and communications (e.g.
brochures, web page and other materials) needed for the departments
of the division in collaboration with the Marketing
12. Manage catalog revisions. Ensure alignment between Board Policy
and Procedures, catalog content, and accompanying documents and
forms. Communicate revisions through the VPAA, committee, and
13. Participate in advisory committees.
14. Maintain repository of instructors. Ensure consistent process
15. Promote a collegial atmosphere within workforce and corporate
and community education and throughout the college.
16. Manage annual operating budget of the division and approve
expenditures of assigned budgets.
17. Oversee the collection and dissemination of data needed for
accreditation, grants, reports, proposals, and budgets.
18. Serve as the academic division liaison to communicate
instructor and student concerns to the VPAA.
19. Manage professional development activities to maintain the
skills of instructors and staff necessary to the positions.
20. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Equivalent of two (2) years of recent teaching experience in
2. Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community
college students and the various learning barriers that exist for
3. Strong background in grant management.
4. Master’s degree
1. Doctoral Degree from a regionally accredited institution.
2. Educational administrative and supervisory experience at
department head level at a community college.
3. Teaching experience at a community college.
4. Experience with learning technologies and online and
5. Bilingual with multi-cultural awareness
1. Normal office physical demands.
2. Ability to travel between campus locations and to and from
3. Ability to travel in state and nationally.
1. Duties are performed indoors in the usual office
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.