Shenandoah University’s Office of Admissions is accepting
applications for a Graduate Admissions Specialist. This is a
full-time benefited position located on our main campus in
As a key member in all activities necessary to enroll graduate
students in the university, the Graduate Admissions Specialist
provides expert customer service to prospective graduate students,
faculty, and staff by creating and maintaining accurate records for
applicants and academic departments throughout the application and
enrollment process. The Admissions Specialist will be the
“go-to-person” when students or academic departments have questions
about an applicant’s status or an admissions process.
The primary responsibilities of this position are to: (1) serve as
the front-line responder for Graduate Admissions; (2) serve
prospective students as an expert counselor through the admission
process; (3) process graduate applications and update applicant
records; (4) communicate admission decisions to all graduate
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited
Communication with Prospective Students
- Serve as the front-line responder for Graduate Admissions by
responding to queries for information about graduate programs,
admissions process, and status information via phone, email, text,
and in-person visitors.
- Maintains working knowledge of program requirements, developing
expertise that allows for prompt response to questions from
applicants and academic departments.
- Manage outgoing communication to applicants regarding status.
This includes email responses from shared email account, telephone
responses, and coordinating with the Admissions Operations team to
update Communication Flow details and website content.
- Counsel prospective students through the admissions process by
communicating timely information.
- Work with program directors to develop, maintain and update all
program information/curriculum sheets used for recruitment
- Process graduate applications and update applicant records in
Admissions CRM. In the absence of other team members, assumes
responsibility of processing applications from their assigned
- Ensure all applicants’ admission requirements are met by
proactively communicating missing requirements with applicants
through various means and review documents to facilitate
- Prepare and deliver applications for review by academic
departments, ensuring accuracy and timeliness of the delivery, and
routinely check on applications in review stage.
- Coordinate admissions decisions with academic departments and
prepare notification letters for applicants.
- Compare official transcripts to unofficial transcripts in order
to check for accuracy.
Communication with Assigned Academic Departments
- Develop positive relationships with assigned academic
departments. Collaborate with those departments to provide seamless
service to prospective students and to maintain accurate content in
- Serve as liaison between prospective graduate students and the
appropriate academic departments and personnel.
Student Employee Education
- Train and manage student employees.
- Develop tasks and projects for student employees to maximize
their talents and interests.
And other responsibilities as assigned.
How to Apply:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college
- Demonstrated strong verbal, interpersonal, and written
- Experience with technology and using Microsoft Office
- Ability to prioritize and manage a diverse array of activities
daily despite multiple interruptions.
- Demonstrated time management skills and attention to
- Experience working in higher education and/or office
- Prior experience in customer service-oriented position
- Display initiative and desire to think beyond the current
parameters of the role.
- Enjoys working collaboratively and is able to work
- Ability and willingness to work until the task is completed
successfully is essential.
- Ability to work additional hours to attend and actively
participate in admissions events, typically 10-15% of the
- Lift boxes of up to 50 pounds, and ability to work in front of
a computer for up to 8 hours a day.
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record and ability to
pass a DMV check.
The complete application will include a cover letter, resume and
contact information for three professional references. The review
of applications will begin immediately and continue until a
qualified candidate is selected.
Shenandoah University is committed to enriching its educational
experience and culture through the diversity of its faculty,
administration, and staff. All candidates are strongly encouraged
to include a statement in their cover letters addressing ways in
which they may be able to contribute to that commitment.
**Note: A pre-employment background check will be required as a
condition of hire. If the job requires driving for University
business, a satisfactory driving record will be required as
At this time, SU is requiring that individuals within certain
groups specifically those who have high levels of contact with
others at the university or pose a greater risk to our community to
be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by August 1 for Fall 2021 or have
at least the first dose by June 1 for groups that will be in person
this summer (with full vaccination following as soon as possible),
unless they have a SU-approved medical or religious exemption
Shenandoah University values the unique and diverse
perspectives of individuals and communities locally and globally
and seeks to foster mutual understanding in an inviting community
where individuals are welcome and respected. The university does
not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s
status or on any other basis protected under applicable