Data Management Analyst III
The Data Scientist
with customer solutions analytics and
insights will oversee and participate in the creation of advanced
analytics and machine learning models that will benefit the needs
of the organization. Reporting to the Executive Director of Data
Services, this position is a key member of the CRM implementation
project team and provides critical input for the overall design of
CRM applications and mapping client business requirements to
systems/technical requirements. Additionally, the incumbent will
lead the team from raw data to actionable insights by finding ways
to embed learnings into the decision ecosystems of our
stakeholders. Remote work options available.
Role and Responsibilities:
Data Collection & Preparation
- Leverage AI and statistical techniques to build models that
drive business decisions.
- Develop statistical and machine learning models using modern
algorithms and techniques such as regression, classification, and
- Perform statistical model assumptions' tests for soundness of
- Develop forecasting models for various aspects of fundraising
and identify the causes of variance in monthly forecasts.
- Drive changes to the forecast that will enhance the forecast
accuracy according to either trends in both internal and external
data or improved algorithms.
- Conduct complex quantitative analysis as it applies to areas of
fundraising, including portfolio optimization, lead identification,
and next-step recommendations.
- Create machine learning algorithms for improving data quality
in the CRM.
- Partner closely with internal and external business
stakeholders to identify and unlock opportunities and to improve
platform capabilities around data modeling, testing, and data
- Collaborate with CRM team to leveraging statistical and machine
learning to measure and project a user's engagement with the CRM
platform across many KPI's.
- Research and develop analyses and forecasting and optimization
methods related to end user behavioral modeling and live
Design, Testing, & Implementation
- Gather and prepare both structured and unstructured data for
use in feasibility studies, predictive models, and general
- Create data pipelines for curating sets of features and
variables for analysis.
- Develop mastery of constituent segmentation strategies,
fundraiser performance statistics, and prospect data retrieval and
analysis in order to collect meaningful descriptive and behavioral
data and transform it to appropriate and usable datasets for a
variety of purposes.
- As a subject matter expert on internal/external data sources,
ensure anomalies/bugs are escalated and if needed workarounds
develop, ensure the data is as clean as possible, as these KPI's
will become the source of truth for various groups.
- Define and manage data-related resource needs, auditing best
practices among peer institutions and working with other staff to
realize information management and reporting objectives.
- Identify opportunities to leverage data and create actionable
insights through advanced analytics and statistics.
- Conduct exploratory data analysis to understand patterns in the
data and prepare it for further analysis.
Data Visualization & Communication
- Participate in business decisions using machine learning, from
initial data exploration and proof of concept, to deploying
repeatable solutions to guide daily business decisions.
- Collaborate with the appropriate stakeholders to define
requirements for AI platforms, including those available within the
- Facilitate the development of objectives by selecting and
employing the appropriate SDLC methodologies, and gathering
business requirements relevant to Machine Learning.
- Employ best practices to test and evaluate algorithms within an
ethical framework before implementation.
- Execute best practices in version control and continuous
integration / continuous delivery of deployed solutions.
- Operationalize and monitor ML models using high end tools and
- Automate findings for stakeholders to consume the results of
statistical and machine learning models in ascend and Tableau CRM
- Unify Machine Learning (ML) systems development and ML systems
deployment to standardize and streamline the continuous delivery of
high-performing models in production.
Data Governance & Collaboration
- Prototype and demonstrate solutions for clients in customer
- Explain model behavior/results to both Technical and
- Build relationships and communicate with senior leadership and
strategic partners to report analytical findings and projections on
- Provide forecast guidance/mitigation options to leaders to
support achieving annual cost reduction and fundraising goals.
- Make business recommendations with effective presentations of
findings at multiple levels of stakeholders through visual displays
of quantitative information.
- Design and update data visualization software projects in
Cognos, ascend, and/or Tableau CRM to include data needed for end
- Understand advancement information systems including software
and business best practice resources in order to develop and
present informed analytical and statistical reports.
- Develop reports through products like Salesforce ascend,
Cognos, Tableau, and PL/SQL Developer.
- Assist in the development and execution of an AI/Data
governance framework, with a focus on ensuring that AI technologies
are well researched and developed.
- Help administer and work within an AI code of Ethics to tackle
issues such as Privacy, Discrimination, Data Ethics, and promote
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert on the Reporting & Analytics
- Collaborate with Data Services staff and other key stakeholders
in a fast-paced cross-functional and diverse environment.
- Stay current on new products and relevant industry trends in
the field of ML
- Brainstorm analytics ideas with business teams and other data
staff that enable daily business decisions.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Master’s degree in an appropriate area and two years of relevant
experience; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and four
years of relevant experience.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- 3+ years of professional experience with at least one analytics
programming language such as Python or R.
- Ability to write clean and functional code and work with data
frames like pandas or NumPy in Python or data table in R.
- 1+ years of experience with Salesforce, Tableau, and/or other
analytics and visualization tools.
- Working experience applying data analysis, ML or statistical
models to solve real world business problems and can communicate
the impact of the work to various stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success in program development and execution.
- Strong project management and time management skills; ability
to handle multiple projects with critical deadlines and changing
priorities simultaneously and accurately.
- Exceptional analytical skills to synthesize a high volume of
information from a variety of sources and perform complex analysis
to produce reports that are usable and actionable to a variety of
- Proficiency with Advance (or comparable alumni/donor database)
and thorough understanding of the reports produced by and for
- Database reporting experience in an Oracle SQL environment
using PL/SQL Developer or a similar tool.
- Experience developing reports in business intelligence tools,
such as Cognos or Tableau.
- Two years’ experience in prospect development or fundraising in
a higher education setting and clear understanding of the
- Must be an outstanding communicator and possess excellent
written and verbal communication skills; interpersonal skills; and
the ability to work collegially and interact effectively with a
- An appreciation for and support of diversity in the workplace
in all its forms; proven success working with stakeholders; project
management skills; experience in a data-driven environment;
organizational skills; and the ability to lead, influence and
motivate others are required.
- Collaborative, collegial and customer service focused
orientation, eager and able to engage a diverse stakeholder base,
and able to build strong professional relationships.
- Strong consultative approach with ability to advise and
influence internal clients through formal and informal
- Effective in problem-solving across organizational lines.
- Understand institutional mission and strategic
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office: Word, Power Point, Excel,
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter,
resume, and three references.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end
Health Assessment Required: