Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions
posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if
employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human
Resources System. For additional information, go to
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
Teaching and Research Faculty
Associate Dean for the Undergraduate Program and Department
School of Nursing
Family & Community Health Nursing
Number of Months
Grant funded position?
Mission or Goal of Unit
We shape the future of nursing through the power of education,
discovery and collaboration.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or
VCU School of Nursing is seeking an Associate Dean for
Undergraduate Program and Department Chair ( ADUPDC ). The ADUPDC
is charged with administrative leadership and oversight of the
undergraduate nursing and the Department of Family and Community
Health in the School of Nursing. This position ensures academic
excellence and curriculum consistent with the mission and goals of
VCU SON and that programs are reflective of national trends, local
and regional needs, and professional standards. The Department
Chair’s responsibilities include oversight of faculty orientation,
faculty development and mentoring efforts, development of annual
faculty work plans and teaching assignments, and evaluation of
full-time and adjunct faculty for whom they supervise. This
position provides input regarding the hiring priorities of
full-time faculty and has the authorization to hire adjunct
faculty. The ADUPDC works closely with the Dean, Associate Dean for
Academic Affairs ( ADAA ), the Associate Dean for Research,
Scholarship and Innovation ( ADRSI ), the Associate Dean for
Practice and Community Engagement ( ADPCE ), and the Associate Dean
for Graduate Programs and Department Chair to support the academic,
research, service and practice missions and to facilitate
communication within the organization.
1. Supports diversity and inclusion and fosters a positive work
environment, interpersonal relationships and communication,
collaboration, and consensus-building within the department and
across the organization.
2. Establishes program- and department-related goals and
initiatives that support the overall mission of the school and
3. Provides guidance to program directors (PDs) to ensure academic
integrity and teaching excellence within programs.
4. Collaborates with the ADAA in preparation of internal and
external administrative reports.
5. Assists with the recruitment and retention of qualified and
diverse faculty and staff.
6. Leads organizational-level orientation for new faculty and staff
assigned to the department.
7. Develops annual faculty work plans (including teaching
assignments) for faculty within the department.
8. Evaluates staff, full-time faculty, part-time faculty, and
adjunct faculty within the department (with input from the ADRSI,
ADPCE, and PDs as appropriate).
9. Mentors department faculty and ensures opportunities for faculty
10. Addresses faculty, staff, and student issues within programs
and the department in alignment with university and school
11. Manages program and department resources.
12. Interfaces with external constituents (university or community)
13. Maintains personal academic faculty obligations in teaching,
research, and service in accordance with an area of expertise and
as negotiated by Dean.
– Senior faculty rank (Associate Professor or Professor)
– Currently licensed or eligible for licensure to practice nursing
– Earned doctorate in nursing or related discipline
– Teaching experience in nursing programs
– Demonstrated skills in communication, mentoring, and
– Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
faculty member at VCU
– Tenured or tenure-eligible
– Academic administrative experience
– Sustained history of external funding for research and/or
Open Until Filled
Application Deadline Date
Proposed Hire Date
Type of Search
Application Process/Additional Information
Candidates must apply to this faculty position through the
university’s career website at https://www.vcujobs.com to be
considered for this position. For further information about this
position contact Demmie Pennix, HR Administrator, School of Nursing
at (804) 628?7583 or email@example.com.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and
academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is
committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an
environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words)
providing your career aspirations and contributions toward
promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement,
you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and
future academic and professional activities have or will contribute
to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to
further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity
that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed,
fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and
scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring
students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from
traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and
successful organizational experience.
Diversity Statement Information
For more information on diversity statements, including
guidelines, please click here
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3