University at Buffalo’s Research and Education in eNergy,
Environment and Water ( RENEW ) Institute is a transdisciplinary,
university-wide initiative that addresses the fundamental,
interlocking survival issues that face human beings of the
twenty-first century. Through research as well as educational
programming, focusing on complex energy and environmental issues,
we connect the dots among complex sustainability challenges,
including their social and economic dimensions.
RENEW is searching for a Director of Research and Outreach to grow
the Institute’s research portfolio, promote RENEW’s
accomplishments, and facilitate broader engagement of both internal
and external stakeholders.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Proposal and External Support Development
New Programs and Partnerships
- Utilizing SPIN and other grant databases, identify new funding
opportunities for RENEW Faculty who request support.
- Develop a portfolio of funding opportunities specifically
targeting early-career RENEW faculty who want to pursue single-PI
- Work 1:1 with junior faculty in proposal development from
ideation to proofreading.
- Review, copy edit, and assist in grant preparation of RENEW
- Identify potential private sector partners for RENEW Director
to consider for collaborative activities.
- Conduct due diligence research on prospective industry partners
and provide recommendations to RENEW Director.
- Research external funding strategies of initiatives similar to
RENEW at other universities and develop guidance document for RENEW
- Support the RENEW Director’s mission of advancing
interdisciplinarity in proposal development by vetting and
proposing additional UB faculty across the university who might
- Develop partnerships and collaborative opportunities with local
and international community-based organizations and NGOs, private
sector companies, and governmental entities.
- Facilitate and provide logistical oversight for various RENEW
events, including the Distinguished Speaker Series, and ensure that
the Series and any other RENEW events are well publicized in the
university and surrounding communities.
Outstanding Benefits Package
- Prepare and design roll out strategies for white papers and
policy papers that are based on original research of RENEW
- Serve as an institutional “translator” who can facilitate
cross-disciplinary conversations as well as explain the
implications of scientific research to an audience of lay
- Develop relationships with state and federal representatives
and provide them with biannual updates on RENEW activities;
encourage representatives to look at RENEW as a public resource
that can help prepare them for drafting and voting on climate and
- Review, copy edit, and provide feedback on research papers by
RENEW -affiliated faculty research, as needed.
- Compile and analyze program performance data; leverage metrics
for internal and external communications and annual reports.
- Draft web content (stories, articles, papers, and updates) and
marketing collateral for external audiences.
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There
are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement
plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy
mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to
support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to
learn about our
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public
research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies
ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to
achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures
challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed.
Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further
knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who
are valued for their talents and their impact on global society.
Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, the Research
Foundation will not discriminate in its employment practices due to
an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin and veteran or disability
- PhD in the natural, physical, or social sciences, with a
preference for interdisciplinary scholarship.
- 4+ years in an interdisciplinary, university-based research
- 8+ years writing and editing grants for submission to the NSF,
EPA, NIH, and other public and private entities.
- 8+ years copy and content editing academic journal submissions
and/or manuscripts for academic book publishers.
- 4+ years developing partnerships to foster university-based
- 10+ years delivering lectures and talks or leading
- 3+ years teaching science writing to graduate students and/or
- Fluent use of Boolean search logic.
- Experience managing event logistics, particularly those at
- Work and lived experience in a variety of cultural contexts;
demonstrable expertise fostering inclusivity in academia, NGOs, or
- Experience developing policy briefs based on scientific
research in at least 3 discrete academic disciplines.
- Familiarity with and respect for rapidly-changing NY State/
SUNY regulations and best practices to contain the spread of COVID
-19 and its variants.
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.