Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) seeks an experienced Director
of Procurement Services to direct and oversee the purchasing and
accounts payable functions for the College and provide leadership
to the procurement services team to foster ownership, action,
shared decision-making, information sharing, and strong customer
orientation. This role is responsible for preparing, negotiating,
reviewing and awarding contracts, bids and/or requests for
proposals. The Director leverages all available procurement tools
and systems, prioritize, and balance the competitiveness of bids
with quality of service.
The Director of Procurement Services develops, recommends, and
implements inclusive policies and procedures and maintains the
proper internal controls in the procure-to-pay function. As well,
this position closely monitors relationships with vendors to assure
services rendered are aligned with payments and contract
parameters. The successful candidate leads with tact and diplomacy
to work fluidly and build rapport within all areas within the
We seek a culturally competent candidate who will thrive in a
campus environment that is committed to advancing the principles of
social equity and inclusion, environmental and climate justice, and
equal access to resources and opportunities.
- Lead the strategic procurement effort including online
requisitions and approvals, procurement cards, and data extraction
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to facilitate the
most economical and expeditious methods of procuring and paying for
goods and services College-wide and work with OIT and external
consultants to translate these policies and procedures into RISD’s
cloud-based system (Workday).
- Effectively communicate the procurement and payable vision and
strategy to senior management and all levels of the institution,
and provide related counsel.
- Provide leadership and direction to division managers and
staff. Hire, train and develop procurement, AP and Equipment and
Surplus teams to attain short-and long-term objectives.
- Identify opportunities for efficiency and effectiveness in
procurement and payable functions.
- Identify, evaluate and assess suppliers for all key commodities
from perspective of cost, capabilities, performance, and fit.
- Author Requests for Information (RFI), Proposals; solicit bids
and quotes and manage communication with and between prospective
bidders, vendors and departmental customers.
- Act as the first central reviewer for contracts.
- Direct the disbursements of college funds for procured goods
and services, including travel.
- Proactively engage with divisional/departmental leads and
various campus personnel regarding purchases; develop
specifications, qualify and recommend bidders.
- Develop and execute a training plan that provides for required
level of procurement capabilities.
- Establish and implement metrics and quantitative objectives for
procurement performance consistent with College objectives in terms
of cost, quality, and service level. Make recommendations based on
- Responsible for all administrative processing of all purchasing
and A/P operations.
- Excellent documented track record of procurement and payables
performance improvement, with emphasis on cost and service. Proven
ability to create and implement effective procurement, contract and
payables policies, processes, procedures and systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Self-directed with strong ability to motivate others.
- Strong exposure to best practices in the area of procurement
and accounts payable with capability to transfer that knowledge
throughout RISD. Broad business acumen to interact with leadership
at a very senior level is critical, as is a team orientation that
will promote the procurement initiative through persuasive rather
than dictatorial means.
- Demonstrated experience in leveraging technology to improve
internal processes and strategic sourcing. Demonstrated experience
with procurement software systems, preferably Workday.
- Demonstrated experience in contract management and review,
including the ability to understand the scope of a proposed
relationship; to review, edit and suggest contract language, and to
spot and resolve specific issues so that contracts are complete and
- Proven ability to interact with members of the community
representing diverse backgrounds and interests and prior experience
with minority sourcing.
- BS/BA degree required, with MBA (or related degree) preferred.
Professional certifications preferred.
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in
purchasing/procurement/payables area, at least five years of which
should be in a management/leadership capacity.
35 hours per week
12 months per year
Documents Needed to Apply:
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload
all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our
pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its
learning community and integral to an art and design education. We
welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute
to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by
For internal use only - Job Family:
Accounts Payable & Purchasing