Works in close collaboration with Director of Academic
Administration to coordinate the administrative operations of the
Film Division’s three degree programs (MFA, MA Film and Media
Studies, undergraduate Film and Media Studies major), including
supporting admissions processes, course management and scheduling
in university systems, degree certification, instructional support,
registration management, student correspondence and records, CPT
and OPT approval and advising and management of course
General Academic Administration: 50%
- Working closely with the Director of Academic Administration,
provide administrative support for curriculum planning, schedule
all numbered/rostered Film courses with Registrar, maintain course
information in university systems and draft specialized information
for various student populations. Work in coordination with several
staff (SOA Facilities Manager, Film Events Manager and Film and
Theatre Program Assistants) to manage room scheduling for Film
classes and events.
- Manage summer session offerings for Film. In consultation with
Dean of Students, Business Office, DAA and SPS staff, lead summer
course management for the Film Program. Liaise with School of
Professional Studies staff regarding room scheduling and
registration, access to rosters, and communications with
instructors. Liaise with offices of SOA Admissions,
Communications and Marketing as needed.
- Provide support for adjunct faculty hiring and orientation to
department procedures; act as liaison to Butler Media Library and
textbook ordering for Film and Media Studies faculty.
- Plan and organize annual M.A. Film and Media Studies
Orientation, manage communications to admitted MA students to
foster retention. Update and distribute MA Film & Media Studies
handbook annually in consultation with DAA and Director of MA
Program. Act as primary contact for MA Film & Media
- Represent Film and Media Studies major at Academic Resource
Fairs; maintain and provide current advising materials.
- Provide administrative support for online student registration,
including managing student rotation through MFA core workshop
courses, compiling information on Film Studies courses in other
departments, communicating course prerequisites and special
registration procedures to different student populations, updating
student cohorts with registration information and managing drop/add
requests, including those requiring Student Affairs approval.
- Provide administrative support for MA Film and Media Studies
admissions process, liaise with SOA Admissions staff, manage
communications with faculty readers, maintain confidential internal
records of scores, field applicant questions.
- Manage rostered course evaluations during each fall and spring
semester and provide access to evaluations for concentration heads
- Collect and disseminate internship and job opportunities for MA
and UG Film Studies populations via email, blog or other regular
- Manage thesis and degree certification process for MA and MFA
Programs with support from Program Assistant.
- Manage internship registration and CPT and OPT certification
for international graduate students in graduate programs. Act as
instructor of record for two Internship courses and submit grades
for Scr/Dir concentration internships.
- Advise students re leaves and withdrawals, and direct them to
appropriate offices for health and psychological concerns,
complaints, dispute resolution and other university services.
- Draft correspondence to/for students related to program status,
academic records and other academic matters.
- Provide information on undergraduate and MA Film & Media
Studies program to current and prospective students.
- In close collaboration with DAA, develop and manage content for
- Manage departmental communications in accordance with
department policy, including messaging to faculty and student
listserves, event invitations and other communications as needed.
Assist with Film Program Communications, including updates of
website and wiki information, liaising with faculty and other SOA
and Columbia departments. Supervise student service positions and
manage allocations effectively, manage MA Assistant and Butler
Media Fellow to perform tasks assigned by Director of MA
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA and/or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of three years related administrative experience
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, supervisory and
communications skills (verbal and written) required.
- Attention to detail in all aspects of management of busy
academic office required.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure with large
numbers of people on concurrent projects with multiple deadlines
and ability to handle confidential matters with tact and discretion
- Advanced computer experience with Macintosh and PC systems,
Office Suite, Internet, E-mail systems and other specialized data
management software required.
- All applicants must attach a C.V. and a cover letter.
Applications without these attachments will not be considered.
- Experience in an education or arts environment preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified