Assistant Director for Advancement Communications
Office of Advancement
Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the
values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment
of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a
pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar
College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and
applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members
of historically underrepresented groups are especially
encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free
campus. Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination
policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees except
for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Advancement
Communications, the Assistant Director for Advancement
Communications provides creative services support, as well as
administrative and operational support. A member of the Advancement
Communications, Donor Relations and Advancement Web Services team,
this position is responsible for creative work such as writing,
designing, and production as needed, including working on appeals,
direct mail pieces, donor reports, acknowledgements, solicitations,
web, imagery and video as required. The Assistant Director for
Advancement Communications collaborates with various departments to
develop creative content and marketing concepts within strategic,
thematic, and branding frameworks. Additionally, this position
serves as a thought partner to the Associate Vice President and
Assistant Director of Advancement Communications. This position is
for the duration of an upcoming capital campaign, currently
anticipated to close in 2026, with the possibility of a
renewal/extension beyond that date.
- Develop and maintain familiarity with and fluency in
communicating about the College's goals and priorities.
- Coordinate with other content developers and department
managers to ensure seamless integration of content across channels
within strategic, thematic, and branding frameworks.
- Ensure that the College's values of Diversity, Equity, and
Inclusion are woven into all of Advancement Communication's
- Participate in strategic communication and branding development
- Work with external print companies and internal and external
designers tied to material production and distribution.
- Responsible for maintaining and overseeing stationery needs for
the Advancement Department.
- Craft, proof, and edit emails and other written
- Develop and produce outreach materials and collateral for use
in solicitation, cultivation, outreach, and stewardship activities
across multiple audiences and segments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or a related field.
- A minimum of three to five years related experience.
- Excellent computer skills including knowledge of Mailchimp,
social media platforms, Microsoft Suite and Adobe Creative
- Experience shooting and editing video is also a plus, as is
experience with social media campaigns.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are
- Interest in marketing, branding, video, design and project
management is a plus. Strong print design background is
- Requires the ability to interact effectively with a diverse
community of internal and external constituents.
- Must be a team-player, have a professional, problem-solving
demeanor, good judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, strong
organizational skills, and the ability to maintain
- Ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple, competing
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to
attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3
professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format.
Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any
questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2197.