ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR – MATHEMATICS
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Malcolm X College is currently seeking adjunct instructors to teach
Mathematics. If you have passion for teaching and learning and are
committed to the mission of the community college, consider joining
our team. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in the
classroom by developing and using effective teaching strategies
that meet students’ diverse needs and engage the students in
critical thinking and problem-solving. They will also have a
passion for teaching and learning along with a strong commitment to
the missions and ideals of the community college.
The Math Department welcomes students at all levels of mathematical
background. We work to develop their math skills, problem-solving
abilities, and an appreciation for the beauty of mathematics in the
world around us. The department's mission is to empower students
with the mathematical literacy needed to:
- Achieve career success in the workplace in an era of
increasingly global markets and business outlooks.
- Achieve academic success in the various certificate, career and
associate degree programs offered at our college.
- Transfer successfully with the skills needed to complete
programs at other academic institutions.
- Achieve personal enrichment and success in their everyday
The mission of Malcolm X College is to provide accessible liberal
arts and health-focused education that fosters personal and
professional achievement. To fulfill this mission, we focus on the
following core values: accountability, community, diversity,
empowerment, learning, and respect.
The ideal candidate will have the flexibility to teach in-person
- Design courses to meet learning outcomes and promote students’
active participation in their own learning.
- Create an effective learning environment that fosters students’
intellectual curiosity and helps students to problem solve using
discipline-specific thinking strategies.
- Employ a variety of formative and summative assessments to
ensure that classroom instruction leads to student learning and the
attainment of the student learning outcomes for the course.
- Help students reach their academic, personal and career goals
and foster a safe environment that respects the diversity of people
and ideas by modeling respect for all students and conveying
confidence in every student’s ability to learn.
- Contribute to and provide leadership in the student’s academic
and professional communities and promote collaboration and teamwork
among members of these communities.
- Present effective instruction to students based upon approved
- Assess and grade students based upon legitimate assessment
- Maintain and submit student attendance records and student
- Hold one hour of student conference time per week for every
course section taught.
- Master’s degree or higher in: Mathematics, Physics, or Math
- Knowledge of Brightspace Learning Management System or similar
Learning Management System, preferred
- Prior experience with online teaching (via Zoom) and/or online
teaching certification is strongly preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to
communicate with diverse group of staff and students, required
- Experience with a diverse, multi-lingual student population is
desired, as is a commitment to the open access mission of the
When applying, please attach your unofficial transcripts and
include any scholarship work, publications, committee work, and
other relevant engagements in your cover letter.
For the second time in three years, Malcolm X College was selected
as aPromising Places to Work in Community Colleges award winner!
The award is given by the National Institute for Staff and
Organizational Development (NISOD), a membership organization
committed to promoting and celebrating excellence in teaching and
leadership at community and technical colleges, and Diverse: Issues
in Higher Education, a leading academic publication.
MXC was recognized for its best-in-class student and staff
recruitment and retention practices, inclusive learning and working
environments, and meaningful community service and engagement
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of